Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my drivers door sometimes does't unlock itself when the unlock button is pressed. I'm tired of having to find the door key after i hit the unlock button on the remote.

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had the same problem. i ended up putting in new wiring and just splicing it in where the other wires go for the keyless
Worked fine for years, but just recently became a problem. What wires did you replace, I was thinking the locking lever is just worn out?

· Registered
138 Posts
I had that problem for a year or so... it would unlock sometimes and other times it wouldn't do anything... I ended up replacing the receiver module located on the bottom of the back deck, it solved all my door problems.

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that problem for a year or so... it would unlock sometimes and other times it wouldn't do anything... I ended up replacing the receiver module located on the bottom of the back deck, it solved all my door problems.
bottom of the back deck? where exactly is that.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
bottom of the back deck? where exactly is that.
This thread should probably be posted in the "Electrical" section of the forum

What year and type of car is this?

Does the Passenger side door unlock when you press the unlock button on the Key Fob?

It's also possible that your hand-Held keyless entry Fob is bad?

The "Rear compartment Door lock reciever" (RCDLR) is located in the center of the rear deck, under the rear deck carpet (Between the rear speakers).....Just in front of the 3rd brake light. 1st, do some of the diagnostics below to determine IF it is a bad RCDLR.

Removing/replacing the RCDLR

1. Climb into the trunk and with a pair of needle nose pliers - Push up and release ALL the rear speaker grill metal retaining clips from their slots on BOTH Grills (Dont crush the clips, just grab them and push up and release)......Then go inside the car and remove the speaker grills.
2. Remove the rear seat back by removing the lower section of the seat 1st (Push in and lift at the bottom), then remove the bolts that hold on the rear seat back.
3. Lift and guide the rear seat belts out of the rear deck carpet.
4. Carefully lift or remove the L&R rear sail inside trim and slide the carpet out from underneath it and slide the rear deck carpet out and remove it.
5. Carefully remove the 2 Black plastic pins holding the RCDLR in place on the rear deck, then press the locking tabs down on each of the 2 electrical connectors and slowly pull out on them and remove them (1 at a time)...Remove the
RCDLR unit.

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This thread should probably be posted in the "Electrical" section of the forum

What year and type of car is this?

Does the Passenger side door unlock when you press the unlock button on the Key Fob?

It's also possible that your hand-Held keyless entry Fob is bad?

The "Rear compartment Door lock reciever" (RCDLR) is located in the center of the rear deck, under the rear deck carpet (Between the rear speakers).....Just in front of the 3rd brake light. 1st, do some of the diagnostics below to determine IF it is a bad RCDLR.

Removing/replacing the RCDLR

1. Climb into the trunk and with a pair of needle nose pliers - Push up and release ALL the rear speaker grill metal retaining clips from their slots on BOTH Grills (Dont crush the clips, just grab them and push up and release)......Then go inside the car and remove the speaker grills.
2. Remove the rear seat back by removing the lower section of the seat 1st (Push in and lift at the bottom), then remove the bolts that hold on the rear seat back.
3. Lift and guide the rear seat belts out of the rear deck carpet.
4. Carefully lift or remove the L&R rear sail inside trim and slide the carpet out from underneath it and slide the rear deck carpet out and remove it.
5. Carefully remove the 2 Black plastic pins holding the RCDLR in place on the rear deck, then press the locking tabs down on each of the 2 electrical connectors and slowly pull out on them and remove them (1 at a time)...Remove the
RCDLR unit.

It's a 96 impala. its not the remote. It does the same thing when hitting the button inside of car. I'll see if I can trouble shoot this thing. Might have to just replace the thing like the other member did.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
It's a 96 impala. its not the remote. It does the same thing when hitting the button inside of car. Might have to just replace the thing like the other member did
You most likely have a bad lock actuator.
+1. Odds are it's the lock actuator inside the drivers door, not the RCDLR in the rear deck! For future reference, Please explain your problem in more detail......It saves time and effort. When you mentioned the fact the door lock release button on the drivers door has the same problem, it now points the problem to the door lock relay or the drivers door lock actuator in the door. The actuator is located in the rear part of the door, and is most likely held on with rivets.....Drill them out with the correct size drill bit, then you can use a bolt and nylon filled locking nut to mount the new actuator in.

Door pad removal process for reference.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=232364

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1. Odds are it's the lock actuator inside the drivers door, not the RCDLR in the rear deck! For future reference, Please explain your problem in more detail......It saves time and effort. When you mentioned the fact the door lock release button on the drivers door has the same problem, it now points the problem to the door lock relay or the drivers door lock actuator in the door. The actuator is located in the rear part of the door, and is most likely held on with rivets.....Drill them out with the correct size drill bit, then you can use a bolt and nylon filled locking nut to mount the new actuator in.

Door pad removal process for reference.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=232364
Ok sorry for not being thorough enough, thought I was. I was thinking it was the actuator on the drivers door. So I'm going to try to explain it again if will clear this up a bit more. Hitting the unlock switch on either pass or drivers door, the drivers door would not unlock once it was locked. It would be an intermittent thing though. Sometimes it would unlock, sometimes it wont.

Yes, they are held in place with two small (but long) rivets. They are very easy to replace and I have some laying around here if needed.
Ok, willing to ship them if needed?cwm4 lol thanks though. I should have some laying around if not I can get them.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Hitting the unlock switch on either pass or drivers door, the drivers door would not unlock once it was locked. It would be an intermittent thing though. Sometimes it would unlock, sometimes it wont.
The easiest way to test the actuator is, get a 12V Test light, ground it good......Then unplug the elec connector from the DS actuator, and touch the probe to the Tan Colored wire terminal.
Now have someone hit the lock switch and the test light should light up everytime the switch is pressed to unlock. If it does, the actuator is gone. If NOT (or Sometimes lights up).....I would replace the door lock relay and do the same test again after the relay's been replaced.

· Registered
375 Posts
I have had the same problem for about 6 mths. I have already replaced the actuator in the door with a known good one and it does the same thing. When I hit the switch on either side of the car or the key fob it will not unlock the drivers door lock. You can here it hear it trying to pust the switch up but no dice. I did not know about the RCDLR. I will try this next. It sucks having to use the key to unlock the door(I am getting way to spoiled). This is why the Forum is so great!

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had the same problem for about 6 mths. I have already replaced the actuator in the door with a known good one and it does the same thing. When I hit the switch on either side of the car or the key fob it will not unlock the drivers door lock. You can here it hear it trying to pust the switch up but no dice. I did not know about the RCDLR. I will try this next. It sucks having to use the key to unlock the door(I am getting way to spoiled). This is why the Forum is so great!
Ever get around getting it solved?

· Registered
2,999 Posts
TEST for power at the Door lock actuator connector before replacing It. I checked the voltage, Battery voltage when LOCKED good, 6.8 volts when UNLOCKED and the actuator does not move, Problem, Voltage drop. The circuit just reverses w/ the lock and unlock function, Just like how a window motor is wired. Just swap around your + and - leads.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Hitting the unlock switch on either pass or drivers door, the drivers door would not unlock once it was locked. It would be an intermittent thing though. Sometimes it would unlock, sometimes it wont.
so did you ever fix the problem?? my driver door does this now. when i use the Viper remote or using the switch on the door, the driver door won't lock or unlock. this doesn't happen all the time, though. some times it locks/unlocks and sometimes it doesn't. would like to get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.