Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My driver seat has been broken for a while and I was looking for some options.

I can go through the hassle of going to junk yards and trying to find a seat in decent condition, or I can try to fix it myself?

The chair basically won't stay in any position. It just lays back onto the back seat. So right now I have a suitcase holding it up a little bit so I have some support. Pretty ghetto, I know.

Any direction would help. I can try anything except welding... but if I knew what to weld I could take the seat somewhere and have it done.

Thanks!

Corey

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
If we're talking about a Impala SS... Then the two front seats can be swapped with each other. The only difference is the recline lever will be on the inside.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My guess is that it's the bolt(s) that connects the seat back to the seat bottom. It's a specific type bolt with a sleeve on it. If you're a "husky" boy, there's a good that's what it could be.

Tom

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If it is the bolts how would I got about fixing?
Pull up or down the leather covers, at the end of the frame on the seat back, it bolts into the seat bottom. If it's broken, it should be obvious. Six bolts and out the seat comes, that might be the easiest to figure out the problem. If you need to drive it while fixing the problem, swap the seats as "1slow96" said.

Tom

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
It may be best to pull the seat and see if you can determine for yourself what is broken. As silver fox said, maybe it's just simple as the bolts which could be replaced.

If it's the frame, maybe that could be welded or a piece of metal engineered that it could save the seat frame. Of course this all assumes the seat material and cushions are in good shape to bother.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks guys. I may swap the seats while I try to repair the broken one. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
That's the idea... Plus,it evens out the wear...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts