Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 21 years of use the seat belt buckle on my 1996 Impala SS latches intermittently. The piece I am going to replace is to the right side of the driver's seat, the female part of the seat belt system. If anyone has replaced theirs or has knowledge of how to do this swap, I would certainly appreciate the help. I assume the front seat will have to be removed to gain access to the seat belt bolt at the bottom of the buckle assembly? If so, any help you could provide on how to remove the driver's side front seat would be very helpful. Thanks in advance for any responses.

damockstadad

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Like you said, just remove the seat OR you may be able to just slide it forward to access the Torx Head bolt. I forget the size but think it's a T-45? Be sure to unplug the "Belt Warning" electrical connector too. But overall, this is a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
You do not need to remove the seat. Put it full forward, and you can reach the bolt with a TORX 50. The 45 is too small, and you may strip the bolt head or break the bit. You may need an 18 inch extension to the handle, because the bolts tend to rust enough to make them hard to remove, and you will be pulling up on the wrench, so your weight can not be used to help loosen the bolt. There is a cover over the bolt, but it is easy to remove by getting the end of the flange above the sheath, and unscrewing it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As other's have mentioned, it's a pretty straightforward R&R. I recently installed new front seats in my Impala with integrated buckles, if you're looking to buy good used replacements let me know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts