Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Which springs (rears only) would be best for dropping 1.5" - 2" on the rear of the Wagon. Currently it has the standard wagon springs and I want a little lower look. I still plan to get a set of air lift bags to prop it up to handle enough trailer to haul the SS, but would like it to still HAUL SS (as the plate reads) around corners to amuse the ricers!

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yo Scott, you heading north for Super Chevy ?

Can't you cut a little coil outta the back and then put some air bags in it. Seems that would do the trick pretty economically.

So the project car is coming along, hows the SS ? Is it all recovered and restored to proper health ?

-gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't cut rear coils (either SS or wagon) because they are pigtailed on both ends.

Well, you CAN cut them but I wouldn't trust in their ability to stay in the spring perches afterwards :D

I'd try some stock Impala SS springs back there, I think they'll give you exactly the stance you're looking for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey CloakedSS, just thought I'd tell you how nice your wagon looks, I really like it, looks great. Would be real cool to see it towing an SS..Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Gerry, sorry to say I can't make the Super Chevy Show up in your neck of the woods. The Wagon "project" is in a holding pattern while I gather all the "stuff" for the T-56 install in the SS, then on to heads / cam (SS), THEN i'll have some time for the Wagon. But Ed'd right (thanks Ed), you shouldn't try and cut the rears or they may not stay seated properly.

I may try the SS springs and see if it's real mushy or not. The biggest improvement will be when I get my Wagon Metco's from Ken H.'s little deal and slap the SS sway bar on it. A HA or HO is also in it's future.

Spidey: Thanks, that's what I thought too! The Wagon will be slightly less subtle when done (NOTHING like the RoadMonster), but definitely NOT a wagon made to look like an SS. You will see it coming!

Later ...
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put stock Impala SS springs on my wagon and was really dissapointed. They hardly dropped the rear at all, maybe .5", but they were really mushy. By the time I added Airlift to make up for the soft spring rate, it was above the stock ride height.
I'm still in search of the perfect rear spring for the wagon.
Don't waste your time on the Impala SS rear springs.
Beltech give a 3" (they say 2.75" drop) but a little radical and have a very short free height, so they tend to fall out when you jack up the rear high enought to get the tire and wheel out of those full wheel wells.
I have the Impala SS Eibachs and they are still mushy in back (better than stock SS though) and lower it about an inch.
I hear the Wagon specific Eibachs are good, but I've never used them or seen a wagon with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running the Wagon specific Eibachs in my '92. It's lower than stock SS by maybe a 1/2 inch or a little less in the front. The back is hard to say though. I was unable (aka; forgot) to get a pre-swap ride height to figure the drop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,

Thanks for the heads up on the SS springs. I do NOT want mushy in any way, shape, or fasion.

Anybody know if I can drum up a rear pair of Eibachs to try, either SS, Caprice OR wagon?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.