Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INTERESTED IN PUTTING AN LT1 IN MY 91 CIVIE CAPRICE-HAS ANYONE DONE THIS CONVERSION-WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR-ADDITIONAL PARTS TO PURCHASE ETC? ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRICIATED.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This isn't my specialty, but one thing I think you'd want would be a double hump cross member to accomidate the exhaust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What engine do you have in it currently? If it's a 350, why not just get some vortec heads (pretty inexpensive),stroke it to 383 put a nice cam/roller rocker combo in? That would be a pretty stout setup, and I'll bet you could do it for less than you could do a LT1 conversion, given all the expenses. Just a thought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, putting an LT1 in a Non LT1 caprice is quite a task. the guy who runs www.bigfastcar.com did one to his, and hearing the headache that he went through made me decide just to get a '94 LT1. you have to get the complete cooling system out of an LT1 car, by lt1 car i mean b-body, wiring harness, and accessory brackets, if you try to use the existing brackets, you'll end up putting the AC in the frame, and you'll also have to get the full exhaust of another LT1 car, including the crossmember. if you're looking for performance, do what the other guy said, vortec heads, cam, rollers, you'll be happy. but that's just my .02 cents, you're gonna do whatever you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about converting a l99 to an lt1? arent all the externals of the motors the same? could i buy an lt1 short block and then switch all the stuff over?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think with that, you'd have to get LT1 starter, fuel pump, PCM or have the L99 PCM reflashed, and maybe a new altenator? i'm not sure, but from what i hear it's a simple task.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a wimpy 305 under the hood-right now im thinking my two options are to go full efi w/a LT1 or a buddy of mine has a 383 stroker he would part with, all carborated though. Appriciate the feedback-pls keep it comin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
swapping a complete lt1 is not the only available efi option out there.

you can adapt lt1 intake to the traditional chevy small block. this way u keep ur existing cooling and accessory system.
http://lt1intake.com/services.htm

intake is not expensive(less than $500), pcm/ecm and wire harness are $$$ and pita.

if i am you. i will take the 383 and convert it to efi, got nothing against carb engine...
but for all season/daily driver efi is great.

go to junk yard and pull all the electronic parts off a tpi or lt1 engine or a custom wireharness.

get the holley stealth ram intake(short runner efi intake manifold similar to lt1 but it's design for traditional SBC) from summit(500 intake + fuel rail).

you will also need TB and fuel injector, sensor, upgrade fuel system to complete the conversion.

There is also TPIS mini ram system(expensive and have the same characteristivs as the the lt1 and holley stealth ram). i think they even offer a turn key conversion.

all the efi stuff is going to cost money, but it might be cheaper and easier than convert to lt1. and traditonal sbc performance parts are cheap in comparsion to lt1.

just my $.02

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.