1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
What size rear (7.5 or 8.5) and ratio do you have in the CC now? Depending on what's in the car now, it may be better to swap the entire rear depending on what you currently have and want for a gear ratio. Can usually find one for about $300.

I did this conversion on my 95 but found it easier and cheaper to just go with an entire disc brake rear swap from a donor car. I did have the smaller 7.5" rear which also required the driveshaft from the donor when I went with the 8.5" rear from an Impala.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know...I'm not sure, how can I find out?

4DoorSS;3329674]What size rear (7.5 or 8.5) and ratio do you have in the CC now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
You know...I'm not sure, how can I find out?

4DoorSS;3329674]What size rear (7.5 or 8.5) and ratio do you have in the CC now?

Not sure which codes may reveal this in the vin or trunk lid sticker. However, with the age of these cars and previous owners, parts may have already been swapped so going from these factory labels may not reveal what's there. My car has had so many parts swapped over the years nothing matches this info. cwm1

The most accurate way may be to get under the car and check the rear and look at the pumpkin. You can tell by looking at the size of the rear Cover and look online for photos of different gasket sizes or just pick one up and see if it matches the bolt pattern. My car was a non-9c1 with the L99 engine and I believe those all came with the smaller 7.5" rear. I believe the L99 9C1 cars had the 8.5" rear and all 5.7 engine cars had the larger rear as well.

If you decide to swap the entire rear, you may get lucky and find one with better gearing than you currently have. My old rear was 2.92. Most out there you find could have a 3.08' 3.23 or 3.42 stock gears. Be sure to get all the E-Brake hardware and cables as this is different on a drum rear. Other than that, pretty easy boltin swap.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
echoing Rob's comments, you would be better off trying to find a disc rear axle, or at least donor parts from a disc rear axle, and stay with the OE rear disc system.

The Summit package is a very small rotor (smaller than production) so brake torque and thermal capacity are not anywhere near what (IMO) is adequate. And the Summit kit requires you to come up with your own park brake cabling--the "park brake" is part of the caliper, which, in itself, is OK, but the mechanism has been problematic in the past as time and exposure to the elements has caused them to be not-so-reliable when they were used in production by various manufacturers.

If you keep your rear axle--7.625 or 8.5--the rear disc setup will bolt on and work. What is your VIN, if you don't mind providing it--at least the last 8 digits--or do you know if the car has an L99 engine (and is it original)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Navy Lifer.."W. ,at least the last 8 digits--or do you know if the car has an L99 engine (and is it original)?"

Its a "p" so that makes it a LT1

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes, you need the disc brake parking cables. You need the left and right cables which connect to the main cable under the driver's door. The ends of the cables are different at the axle, drum to disc. You also need to transfer the connector which attaches the right cable to the left cable.

Ken

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Navy Lifer.."W. ,at least the last 8 digits--or do you know if the car has an L99 engine (and is it original)?"

FYI if it is a Caprice with an LT-1 and not a 9c1, it is a B4U. You can check info here in various threads for what other features come with that option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"QUOTE fbi9c1-FYI if it is a Caprice with an LT-1"

Lol my bad all this info is overwhelming in a good way so many ideas and helpful tips and tricks

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Yes, you need the disc brake parking cables. You need the left and right cables which connect to the main cable under the driver's door. The ends of the cables are different at the axle, drum to disc. You also need to transfer the connector which attaches the right cable to the left cable.

Ken
Thanks, I thought so but wanted to make sure.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts

Yes, it is LT1 - dual exhaust is the giveaway, without even looking at anything else

VIN you provided shows B4U Sport Performance pkg, G80 (limited slip) and GW9 (2.93) - that is a 8.5" ring/pinion, WIDE (1598mm) rear axle, same as Impala SS.

B4U also had rear (and front) sway bar, HD cooling with mech. fan - aka "tow pack", plus leather steering wheel--other stuff, too, just doesn't come to mind at the moment.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
that would depend on how complete the kit is....what kit do you plan to use?

If you use factory rear disc components, you may need nothing.

Aftermarket may or may not include park brakes or park brake cables--do you intend to retain park brake function?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.