Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a deal set on his Impala SS in the for sale section. First plan was to ship the car, but I decided I wanted to see it before I bought it. Made plans to fly out and he would pick me up at the airport. I would look the car over and then give him the cashier check from a major institution and drive off with the car. Booked my flight based off his ok. He started to get shifty, saying he couldn't trust me and my check and that the check had to clear first. Most banks cash instantly, but if not, there would be no way there was time to clear before I flew out. I tried everything to help him see I was legit. Offered to stay a night or two in town, to hope it all cleared. Had him talk to my bank to verify it was real, and that the loan was real, and the check was real. Said it still wasn't good enough. Not sure why he "truely" backed out, but he did mention he had higher offers. Anyways, be carefull. I only booked my flight based on his ok to accept the check and me drive off. The deal was a bust at that point. I could not trust that he was honest and the car was as stated. I simply asked that he pay for half my flight($158/2=$79), then he could sell it for the higher price and we would be done. He simply refused. $178 isn't alot of money, but the principle is what counts.

Just be careful. I'm not saying he's a fraud, and I'm not saying he's totally at fault, but I could not please him in this deal no matter what I tried. I was trusting that the car was as he said, but he would not trust that my bank's money was as real as they said.

Mav

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
He backed out cause he was hoping you would be a fool and blindly mail him a check for a car you have never saw.

Glad you didn't get screwed over and thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I surely hope that is not the case. I hope that he is legit and someone gets a nice car.

Mav

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
They may have been burned on a bad check before? I would have just brought cash. The car looks nice!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
It would take an implausibly naive individual not to realize Cashier's checks drawn from a reputable service work way different than personal checks. A genuine Cashier's Check is pretty hard to bounce. Problem with a personal check is you can cash it real quick and have the funds appear in your account in a day or two, but it's too frequent the transaction can vaporize if there's 'insufficient funds' discovered even after that.

I had my wife fed-ex me a Cashier's Check (actually 4 due to $4k issue cap) when I spotted my FWB and bought it in a 'foreign city' (Dayton ;))

Bottom-line, I think the seller lost his 'can-do' attitude due to higher offers.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I think it's lagit, usualy scammers don't even have the car there advertising, and the way things are going now you really can trust anyone especialy on the internet.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most banks will clear a cashiers check instantly. Just bought a different SS and the cashiers check cleared...........instantly. Some banks will hold it, but at some point, there has to be some trust, and honesty. Sad thing, is this is the only way my bank will pay out a loan.

Mav

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Cashiers checks normally have a phone number on them. You call that number and talk directly to the bank. They will tell you if the check is legit or not. I would take a cashiers check over a personal check ANYDAY.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You can always use postal money orders. They are hard to make fradulant.

Next time show up with a briefcase full of money all in low denomination bills.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can always use postal money orders. They are hard to make fradulant.

Next time show up with a briefcase full of money all in low denomination bills.
I can only use what the bank gives me. :(

Mav

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've sold 4 cars on eBay, all of the guys flew into LAX, i picked them up and they drove the car back or had it shipped back, all smooth sales with no problems.

I took a cashier's check from one guy, and the rest were all cash transactions.. But i always preferred cash.

Sucks to hear you ran into a guy who was weary of your cashier's check. I probably would have taken it but made sure to get all your personal info and the bank info too.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great answer. This is one of the things I suggested. He had most of my info. Phone, address, email. I told him anything else he needed he would get. Parents info, work info, anything needed. But no go. Oh well. Go to pick up my new SS tomorrow. Fly in and drive off with cashiers check.

Mav

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I bought my SS and the wife's Suburban with cashiers checks and no issues whatsoever! For the SS, went to the seller's bank and did the deposit transaction in person. For the Sub, they just took and all was good!

Some banks will put a hold on the check, but it is generally 48-72 hours. It purely depends on the bank AND the person holding the account.

I can see where the seller would be a little nervous, but it is a pretty weak argument!

Sorry to hear about the hassles Mav.

Tim

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I had to use a cashiers check to buy my latest car. I gave the guy the # 2 days in advance so he was able to call and check the legitamacy of the cashier check, and he had no issues accepting it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts