Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a dynomax ultra flo ss system and was told by someone online that it uses a H pipe. If true does it mean it will still have that deep sound or the raspier sound? Also will frankensteining it with the x pipe give it the deep sound instead?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just ordered a dynomax ultra flo ss system and was told by someone online that it uses a H pipe. If true does it mean it will still have that deep sound or the raspier sound? Also will frankensteining it with the x pipe give it the deep sound instead?
first of all...great choice in exhaust. did you get it at the one website that i gave you? and dont forget to send in the rebate for the $75 back. no it doesnt use an h-pipe just straight pipes. but you can get a x pipe from some places online that will cost you about 170 shipped. it will "balance out" the exhaust pulses and give you a few more horses. it will sound a little bit different too. it wont have the deep throaty sound of a h-pipe but it will definitely sound like a true muscle car. mines has like a "hollow" but throaty sound to it. you will definitely notice a performance gain with the car. do you have a cold air intake? that would give it a different sound too...it will growl like crazy under the hood. get that and a tune and a shift kit and you will have a great start for the gears, tq converter, headers, etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did that happen to be me (thejuice...) on youtube? If so, I did make a mistake and I forgot that the Ultraflo system uses two separate pipes. From all the reading I've done, an x-pipe or an h-pipe will give you a performance benefit over two separate intermediate pipes because it helps to balance exhaust gases. Whether or not you can feel a difference on a stock engine, I don't know and it's debatable.

As far as sound goes, two separate pipes seem to give a more harsh sound. I seemed to hear more pops and gurgles.

H-pipes seem to smooth the sound compared to two separate pipes. If you're looking for a hot rod sound I think that is your ticket.

I chose an x-pipe because I wanted the cleanest sound possible and I think it gave me that.

^x-pipe^
^separate pipes^

I've since added 2.5" dynomax over the axle pipes and Clear Image Automotive tips. It made the sound a lot deeper and a little louder.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I got it off streetsideauto.com I don't got a cold air intake yet but was thinking of going home depot on it unless its better to go with the more expensive option. LOl, yeah it was you on youtube. So the X pipe would be the good choice since it gives a deep clean growl and the whole pulse thing?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah I got it off streetsideauto.com I don't got a cold air intake yet but was thinking of going home depot on it unless its better to go with the more expensive option. LOl, yeah it was you on youtube. So the X pipe would be the good choice since it gives a deep clean growl and the whole pulse thing?
yeah the home depot mod is great if you on a budget. and yes the x pipe will help a little but not enough for you to feel. you really should get the shift kit next after the intake is done. you should go with the transgo 4l60e-hd2 kit. one of the best 100 bucks you will spend.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, I thought this system included the catalytic converter unless the summit i reviewed is different from the streetside one. But if it doesn't then what is a good way to resolve my cat problem because the exhaust is smellier and the flow as mentioned in another forum is bad on pass. side. Should I replace them or just gut them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
BTW, I thought this system included the catalytic converter unless the summit i reviewed is different from the streetside one. But if it doesn't then what is a good way to resolve my cat problem because the exhaust is smellier and the flow as mentioned in another forum is bad on pass. side. Should I replace them or just gut them.
If you got them the gave a hollow sound to the exhaust. I've never heard hollow cats in person but from what I've been reading on hear, some don't prefer it. I don't have experience with aftermarket cats so I can't comment on them. Clear image automotive sells export pipes if you wanted to get rid of your cats completely. Or you can go cheap and find an exhaust shop that will cut the cats out and replace them with a pipe. It may be hard to find depending on where you live because it is illegal.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was gonna ask them but they're closed down for the moment. Me and my cousin were gonna gut them for temporary because it's clogged up to the point I can feel the loss of power.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the catalytic converter is in the front or middle of the car btw? the exhaust came with mufflers and all the good stuff and i'm ready to take her to get it installed :)

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
The catalytic converters would be immediately after the exhaust manifolds/headers.

The fact that you got a "Dynomax Ultra Flo SS Cat-Back" exhaust is a clue that what you'd get would fit in back of the cats :p (sorry......had to bust your nuts a bit cwm2 ) .

You can buy a set CATCO catalytic converters from Summit Racing that are a direct fit replacement for the stock cats if you want to go that route. They're expensive ($340+ for both) but they're also indistinguishable from the stock cats; both in looks and how they perform. Hell.....I wouldn't be surprised if the stockers and the CATCOs were made by the same company.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-9404/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-9403/

Remember......."sound" quality is purely in the ear of the beholder. I recommend that you install the complete system first to determine if you like the 'sound'. If you don't like the sound......then go through the additional expense to modify the system.

Good Luck!!

KW

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha well i'm new to all this as far as technicality. I'm sure it will sound better with just the dynomax bc my current exhaust looks like it uses 2" pipes but still roars! I'll keep you updated and will upload vids soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,110 Posts
Three things to consider:
1. Two separate pipes makes it a lot easier to figure out which side has a misfire if you have a '94 or '95 (no OBD2 means the PCM won't tell you which cylinder is misfiring)
2. Makes it a lot easier to drop and swap the transmission if you have two separate pipes.
3. Two separate pipes means you hear the exhaust in stereo. I speak as someone who had an H-pipe and then went back to two separate pipes. Definitely more rumble with two separate pipes.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@sherlock9c1 yeah luckily i can tell my pass side cat is gone to hell cuz no flow is hardly felt. might as well replace both sides though. for the transgo HD2 kit I can use it for rebuild correct. also I looked up a blue plate special clutch pack and sprag unit kit from tony something but idk if this is the same thing as the transgo kit. btw to have my tranny rebuilt with these kits already purchased should it cost me more than $1800

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the car getting the exhaust installed today! hopefully it comes out and I like how it sounds, resonators hopefully will be alright. To just take off my exhaust and install this one they better not charge me too much because I hear they overcharge sometimes.

·
Registered
654 Posts
@sherlock9c1 yeah luckily i can tell my pass side cat is gone to hell cuz no flow is hardly felt. might as well replace both sides though. for the transgo HD2 kit I can use it for rebuild correct. also I looked up a blue plate special clutch pack and sprag unit kit from tony something but idk if this is the same thing as the transgo kit. btw to have my tranny rebuilt with these kits already purchased should it cost me more than $1800
i would wait to get the tranny rebuilt...hell speaking from experience, you will be surprised at what that tranny can handle IF it has been properly maintained. I have 168k on mines and all I did was put the shift kit in it and kept it moving and its still strong after all the mods i have done to my car. Also, i would shop around for a tranny unless money is no object of yours because you can find some killer deals on this and the ls1lt1 forum on some built 4L60e transmissions. Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I'll see how she feels after getting the shift kit bc right now it doesn't feel to strong, especially when I try to burn rubber, it doesn't want to! But I found Carolina Performance Transmission on here and a 650 rwhp rated tranny with the works will cost me $1800, plus its an hour away from where I live so it's worth all the performance. I got a local transmission guy who's been at it for 30 years and has worked on local race cars so I might ask if he can get me a similar package for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
...You can buy a set CATCO catalytic converters from Summit Racing that are a direct fit replacement for the stock cats if you want to go that route. They're expensive ($340+ for both) but they're also indistinguishable from the stock cats; both in looks and how they perform. Hell.....I wouldn't be surprised if the stockers and the CATCOs were made by the same company.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-9404/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTO-9403/
Yes, these are a great stock replacement and fit part. Just wanted to mention, as it has long ago but needs to be from time to time, the tack welds on the Catco's are ridiculously inadequate compared to OEM. If you install them as is out of the box, within a couple of months at least one of the tack welds will break and you'll have the annoying, [email protected] sound of tinging sheet metal rattling under your car. Ask me how I know. Upon this realization, I had both sides of the cat seam welded. No more rattling and not even a recommendation, but rather a must do.

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
........the tack welds on the Catco's are ridiculously inadequate compared to OEM. If you install them as is out of the box, within a couple of months at least one of the tack welds will break and you'll have the annoying....tinging sheet metal rattling under your car. Ask me how I know.........
OK......how do you know :p ?

Anyway, maybe their standards have changed......but after spending two trouble free years on my SS, I switched the Catcos (and shorty headers) over to my 9C1.......5 1/2 years ago!

In almost eight years, absolutely no issues with the Catcos.

And in a side-by-side comparo with the stockers.....they looked pretty much the same.

KW

1 - 20 of 27 Posts