Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good sound quality clip of a dynomax altra flo ss system on an lt1? I want to know how my car will sound with it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
These dynomaxs muffs sound like open headers. They don't have that throaty roaring sound like flowmasters or glasspacks. I would go with something other. My opinon. but to each theirs.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
These dynomaxs muffs sound like open headers. They don't have that throaty roaring sound like flowmasters or glasspacks. I would go with something other. My opinon. but to each theirs.
No they don't sound like open headers and the fact they they are the best flowing catback and are the most recommended setup by adults who actually drive their cars on this site. If you are 16, get some Flowmasters everybody in the school yard will be impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Uhh??? No, they do not sound like open headers. Not even close.

Yes, they do have a different type of sound than Flowmasters, but that's because they're not a chambered design that uses various baffles to muffle sound. The design of the Ultraflo is actually closer to that of the traditional glasspack - a straight-thru baffled tube wrapped in fiberglass matting.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well, long story short, flowmasters "sound" good, but "flow" is not what they are great at, hence the term....."slowmaster". Other options "flow" much better and perform much better. Sound is another story. Different strokes, different folks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The Flow Master kit for the 1994-96 Impala SS was only 2.25 inches in diameter. Same as the factory exhaust system and it worked OK with a stock motor. It did not improve performance but some including my self like the sound. With a 383 LT1 the Flowmaster cat back is restrictive. My actual dyno numbers on a dynojet with Quad 1 headers and Dans High Flow cats were: Flowmaster Force III RWHP 375, B & B Tri-flow 2.5 inch true duals (best sound ever IMHO)RWHP 382, Clear Image 3-inch with x-pipe and Dynomax quiet flows RWHP 420.

·
Registered
1994 9C1 6spd swap, 1995 Fleetwood
190 Posts
Pypes race pro cat-back is another great exhaust system that flows good and sounds amazing at a great price. I had flowmaster before and liked but they don't compare to my current set up now

Bermuda blue 9C1

·
Registered
10,960 Posts
I have them on my car and I deleted the resonators. Its nice, it sounds awesome, quiet in the car the highway quiet in the car at idle. but it will drone real bad at 51-3 MPH. that's it. You can prevent it by using as little throttle as possible to keep going if you are forced to run at that speed. Overall, They are way better than flowmasters which are loud all around.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the dynomax ultra flo as system. Im hoping the exhaust with the slp headers will sound good but won't be excessively loud.

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
I bought the dynomax ultra flo as system. Im hoping the exhaust with the slp headers will sound good but won't be excessively loud.
Louder than stock.....deeper tone.

You'll be happy ;) .

KW

·
Registered
85 Posts
^+1.

I have had people stop and come over just to tell me how much they liked the sound as compared to other cars with 'performance' exhausts. Deep and mellow, noticeable but not harsh or loud. You made the right choice.

Enjoy.

Jim

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
No Sound clip but ......

I have the cat-back Ultra Flo SS Kit , its one step above stock if you ask me , alot of people told me the sound is similar to an Escalade , looks stock too , Would I get it again , NO ! Too many options ,

I got the setup because the price was right and I wanted something close to stock , considering I have no bolt on mods yet on the dggm .

Cruising thru certain areas will definitely get you hogtied with a loud exhaust , seems though the Classic Muscle cars get alot more play when it comes to that , but thats a diff story diff topic

If your going to do upgrades Id suggest something else ................

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
I have the cat-back Ultra Flo SS Kit.......Cruising thru certain areas will definitely get you hogtied with a loud exhaust..........
I think you're the first person on here to complain that the Dynomax Ultra Flos were too loud.

That being the case, I got some advice for ya.....stay away from Spintech cwm2 ....

KW

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ultra flo kit from Summit 3 years ago, CIA Headers and High flow cats. . . . Great sound, not objectionable, all who hear it says it sounds great. I like the deep sounds . . . very nice . . .no crossover or x pipe at this time. Stock LT1 with PCM by PCM for less . . .great at idle or WOT!

·
Registered
439 Posts
It is EZ, listen to different systems. Buy what you like. I did this at the nationals in Tulsa many year ago. I purchased a dyno max system. Flowmasters are restrictive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Started the car for the first time in over a year and the dynomax system sounds really good. It goes really nicely with my slp headers. I'm very happy with it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the same headers and exhaust but with export pipes. I love it. Its not loud when you don't want it to be but sounds like hells breaking loose when you romp on it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts