Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching the forum and not finding much, I guess its time for a new post...has anyone relocated their parking brake to the center console (lever style)? I remember a little discussion about it awhile back, but has anyone actually done it? Maybe I should ask Steve how he did his actuator setup in his 96...

(couldnt decide, so i posted this in brakes & interior :D )

-Ant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didn't relocate the whole assembly, but I bent the pedal up and toward the brake pedal to make room for custom kickpanels ;). I'm sure it's possible to convert it to lever-style... it's just a matter of pulleys and fabrication. What's wrong with where it is now though, might I ask? :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Erik...I thought of that too :D

My first thought was to do what you did, bend the pedal. (yeah, i'm doing it for custom kick panels too). I thought about relocating the whole thing tho in anticipation of the six speed conversion

-Ant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I've seen, the parking brake pedal doesn't move when you install a six-shooter... the wide stock brake pedal is taken out and the void between the accelerator and parking brake pedal is filled with smaller brake and clutch pedals... I could be wrong though, since I haven't done a six-speed conversion myself! Someday... (I hope!)

If you're just going to bend the pedal, you'll need shallow speakers for the kickpanels to work while allowing the pedal to move all the way down unobstructed. 6 1/2s are tricky... I've made two sets of kickpanels for two different pairs of 6 1/2 components sets, and I wasn't able to use the parking brake with them. I finally came to my senses and got a 3-way set... 6 1/2 in the doors, 4" and tweeter in the kickpanels... fits perfectly!
Good luck rerouting all those nasty wires in the kickpanel areas! Those were a pain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have the T56 conversion. And the E-brake is still on the floor.

It "works", but it is a bit crowded having 4 pedals down there.

Due to my console setup, not sure a center-console mounted one is the trick either for me.

Guess I'd be most interested in an electronic (i.e. no pedal OR lever) conversion. I probably DON'T wanna know what that'd cost though :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed, I've seen some of those linear actuators like the one Steve Cornell has hooked up to his E-brake, and I believe the biggest ones run up to $800 a piece
. High price to pay for luxury ;). Heh while you're at it, install a computer in the car with voice recognition and program it to activate the E-brake at your command... now that would be something! "Computer, initiate shutdown sequence" :cool:

Uggh I've been up studying for final exams too long... my imagination is taking over my rational thought. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by northstar_v8:
"Computer, initiate shutdown sequence" :cool:

Uggh I've been up studying for final exams too long... my imagination is taking over my rational thought. :rolleyes:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*LMAO* thats hilarious....I can relate....next week is finals week for me too
:rolleyes:

The only thing that deters me a little about the actuator is that it's dependent upon the battery....although unless you routinely park the beaSSt on an incline, in an automatic you don't actually need an e-brake (it can warp the rear rotors!) and even on an incline (like your driveway) it doesn't do much more than relieve some of the tension/vehicle weight from resting against the tranny (which actually can be pretty imnportant :D ). Nonetheless, I want it to be functional since its there anyway...

-Ant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can build a ratcheting type system then you do not need a big power hungry actuator. You can likely get away with a much smaller actuator and a solenoid.
Otherwise the need for the big actuator is due to the fact it holds the ebrake in place.

I would feel much better about a ratcheting type setup with a solenoid used to release the tension.

A common hot rod mod I have been told is to use the Ebrake from a Pontiac Fiero.
This is a ratcheting style lever...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.