221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one try the new E3 spark plugs yet?

·
Registered
731 Posts
cwm6

I think most people here are smart enough to pass on those, at least unless they were given to them for free:).

I looked at one at the local vatozone a while back, and they reminded me of something for a lawnmower, leafblower, etc. (you know, something similar to Chumpion spark plug quality).

And I've saw all the morning tv shows attesting how the e3 spark plugs improve mileage and power over any other plug on the market, with the "dyno proven results"... On the other hand, those same shows also promote the monster transmission shop, and talk of what a reputable company they arecwm3...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geuss ill be the test subject then.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm not a smart man, but since electricity always takes the path of least resistance, it would seem that no matter how many electrodes the plug has, the spark will only find one of them. Not jump a spark to all the electrodes.

Also unless you have an all out race engine, that might call for a specific type of plug, i doubt you'll notice any difference over a new OEM plug.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
If you combined the E3 plugs with a Tornado air management device, I'd say you would get a performance boost on par with an entire fender's worth of manufacturer's decals.

·
Registered
137 Posts
LoL cwm2
If you combined the E3 plugs with a Tornado air management device, I'd say you would get a performance boost on par with an entire fender's worth of manufacturer's decals.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats funny I know alot of people who have used the tornado and said it worked.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Don't any of you do any research?
After 10 minutes of searching, I found:
1. There doesn't seem to be any existence of an EPA report on E3 spark plugs. See if you can find one, and if so, post up the link.
2. If you read up on spark plug theory, you will find that sharp edges do help arc performance. E3 plugs offer a much longer sharp edge (or 4 of them, to be specific) on the ground electrode, so in theory they should last longer. If you have seen regular plugs after 40-50k (or AC Delco platinums after the pucks fall off), you'll see that there's no sharp edges left if you look closely.
3. As always, new parts will ALWAYS run better than old parts. If you really want to compare, you must use new part A against new part B.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts

Combine these with the electric supercharger & air foil and you'd have at least 52 million HP.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
May I have a list of these people's names? I've got some miracle tonic and real estate they might be interested in.
yes I have two names actually. i remember these two guys becuase they work with me still. One guys name is eric. He had an late 90's Ford Expedition that he installed the tornado on and he said it worked. He never actually told me how well it worked as in it gave him better fuel economy or more hp. The other guy is my supervisor named Johnny. He has an 95 SS impala. He keeps telling me I need to buy one and use it. I already have the K&N intake though. But when you think about it he is the same guy that used an ebay chip on his car and had to rebuild his tranny. Gave him some power but he paid for it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I asked a knowledgeable GM engineer the same question. His response was " GM spends millions of dollars in research to get better fuel economy. Don't you think if these worked GM would spent the extra dollars to put them in every car?"

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked a knowledgeable GM engineer the same question. His response was " GM spends millions of dollars in research to get better fuel economy. Don't you think if these worked GM would spent the extra dollars to put them in every car?"
i dont think e3 plugs were available in the LT1 era. Also every car has flaws. If GM would put more time into these vehicles they would be pretty much perfect. No window sag is a good example. Every car has flaws in its DNA. these car companies are to busy tring to push out newer vehicles quantity is now more important than quailty. And NO gm wont put them in every car even if it worked. Intake systems are proven to work better than factory systems why arnt they being installed from the factory. Anything the dealer does for a car the aftermarket industry will make it better.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Geuss ill be the test subject then.
You can geuss all you wish, but first it needs to be established how or why those plugs are supposed to be superior, based on the mfr. claim of course. Without an established claim how would you know what test to conduct?

Maybe I've seen a different advertisement than you, but if not, it is very highly unlikely you could afford or be willing
to spend the $$$ to conduct the test(s).
The reason why products like this get a bad rep is because it's a pain in the @$$ to compare new-to-new. If changing eight spark plugs was as easy as changing eight airfilters, new spark plugs would be compared to new spark plugs much more often, and consumers would quickly learn what's worth what.
As for spending the minimal $$$ and effort to R & R the plugs as Marky suggested, well, that is the LEAST of the problem.
Conducting the tests is where the effort starts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can geuss all you wish, but first it needs to be established how or why those plugs are supposed to be superior, based on the mfr. claim of course. Without an established claim how would you know what test to conduct?

Maybe I've seen a different advertisement than you, but if not, it is very highly unlikely you could afford or be willing
to spend the $$$ to conduct the test(s).

As for spending the minimal $$$ and effort to R & R the plugs as Marky suggested, well, that is the LEAST of the problem.
Conducting the tests is where the effort starts.
Well screw it i'll stick with regular plugs for now until i run into more people who have used it and get the info from them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now i can finally put this to rest I got this staement from a guy who used the plugs himself on the net. "Yes , indexing standard plugs does offer gains in power and torque but i think that there is to much electrode on these plugs and therefor there is an overheating issue with them!! My plugs were the recommended plugs for my truck and they had the same length thread section and overall length as well !! I now run autolite double platinums in mine and am getting better mileage from 12 -13mpg with the e3 and 14 -15 solid with autolites ! Plus i got over 100k out of my original plugs !!1". Found this one also. "These plugs are NOT recommended to just muscle cars !! I have a very good ignition on my LS1 , The same as that corvette he was putting them in !! Written inside the box it says "if installed in any modified,racing,aircraft, commercial,or industrial application they don't cover them in the warranty!!  And it says on the box made in china and your results may vary !! Sounds like crap to me !! Because they are!!!!!!!" This guy had them in his truck. "If you got 8 cylinders throw your $50 in the toilet and flush it, because these plugs suck royal dick! Got 7k out of them and my truck ran like **** near the end! Stumbling and surging and getting worse mileage too ! Don't waste your money!! Just buy double platinum's and save the headache ! And forget this stupid gimmick !!! Mine fried to the point of where they looked alright but when tested they didn't even try to spark the diamond electrode , just the threaded side its hooked too!" This one guy with a srt 4 said they worked better on his car. But majority of the people said it did more harm tahn good. So I can cross out E3 of my list.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've used about every type of spark plug. From copper to iridium with various electrode configurations.

They all do the same thing, produce a spark to ignite the air-fuel. I did not perceive any noticeable difference in power from any particular type of plug. The only real difference was build quality and price per plug.

Anymore I just use copper plugs and pay about $1.50 to $1.70 for each. Spending $8 or more per plug is just a waste, I don't care how rare the metal is or how pretty it looks. The copper plug works great and leaves money in my wallet for other things.

If you want to make more power with your spark plugs do the following:

Make sure they are not fouled(oil,coolant,carbon,etc.)
Get the correct heat range for you engine setup
Set the correct gap(larger is not always better)
Make sure the are going off at the right time (ignition timing)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
You would be better off kicking yourself in the nuts. Same result but cheeper. :D -Josh

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't any of you do any research?
After 10 minutes of searching, I found:
1. There doesn't seem to be any existence of an EPA report on E3 spark plugs. See if you can find one, and if so, post up the link.
2. If you read up on spark plug theory, you will find that sharp edges do help arc performance. E3 plugs offer a much longer sharp edge (or 4 of them, to be specific) on the ground electrode, so in theory they should last longer. If you have seen regular plugs after 40-50k (or AC Delco platinums after the pucks fall off), you'll see that there's no sharp edges left if you look closely.
3. As always, new parts will ALWAYS run better than old parts. If you really want to compare, you must use new part A against new part B.

Leave it up to "MythBuster" Sherlock Holmes. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts