Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched the forum with no luck but i wanted to know if e85 adds more performance than gasoline.i say this because ive been playing around with desktop dyno and its shows gains over detonation free gasoline but reading on other forums it says there is none.could you guys enlighten me

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Ive searched the forum with no luck but i wanted to know if e85 adds more performance than gasoline.i say this because ive been playing around with desktop dyno and its shows gains over detonation free gasoline but reading on other forums it says there is none.could you guys enlighten me

NO...has about half the BTU energy than gasoline
Requiring twice the volume and a lot more compression to make it effectively work.

D

·
Registered
45 Posts
e85 has an octane of about 105. premium (pump)gas is 93. if your not detonating with 93 you will see no gains, but if you are running high compression or boost then it will help

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
As BBwagon pointed out, you won't see any gains unless you take advantage of the octane rating of E85, either through higher compression or more boost on a turbo or supercharger.

Personally, if I were doing an E85 conversion, I'd put an electronic wastegate and BOV on the turbo and either activate it with a switch (run the gas to empty and fill up with E85) or else go whole hog and put a flex fuel sensor in the fuel line and a computer that can control the boost based on the alcohol content.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
If I remember correctly.. my car made more HP on gas than E85. I just wanted to be able to use E85 a few years ago.. when the gas prices were getting insane. Where Im from, E85 was about a $1.50 cheaper per gallon than gas.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Wow, what a threadload of misinformation...:rolleyes:

E85 WILL make more power on an LT1.

The only drawback is that it takes about 23% more fuel.

Been there, done that.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Good thing Hussker was here to change the tide.

If you are knock limited, then higher octane lets you bump spark advance... more power. If you bump compression, you get more.

You have to bump your fuel rate ~25% when on E85 because Ethanol has oxygen in it. That extra fuel also tends to cool your combustion chamber a bit, so there is a little benefit there too. Stoichiometric A/F ratio of E85 is about 9.8:1 instead of 14.7:1 for straight gasoline. Note however that E10 is pretty much everywhere now, and stoich is about 14:1 with that fuel.

In brief summary, unless you can take advantage of the increased knock resistance of the fuel, there is little power benefit. But it's a renewable fuel, has less net CO2 emissions, and makes farmers happy you are using it. Exhaust smells better too :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts