Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 93 LT1, to swap in to a C4 Corvette, wondering if anyone has any experience with them? In particular, any issues I should address while I have the engine on a stand? So far, I'm thinking about doing front/rear main seal, intake gaskets, injector o-rings.

I know it has the earlier style opti, is it worth upgrading this to a later vented style? It's fairly involved (need new cam, cam gear, front cover, opti) or will I be ok with a good, new spline drive unit? Dynaspark maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
If it's in good running shape, I would not bother with modifying anything. The price tag of changing over to the 94+ parts will likely cost you more than you paid for the engine.

The harness and controller for a 93 is not the 8051 controller and is not flash programmable. It you are putting it into an older TPI (or older) C4, I would consider going to the newer controller and harness if you need to do any tuning. If you are going to run the engine in a stock configuration, it would likely be easier to run the old ECM.

What trans are you going to run?

·
Registered
481 Posts
You can modify the opti to be vented. The vented cap will fit on the early optis or melt a hole in the cap and add a fitting. I drill one out one of the three holes on the base, add a fitting, and RTV the other two. I have done this with two '94 Camaro engines. There is a web site with photos somewhere...

I picked up a couple cheap used splined optis and replaced the cap. There is a risk the electronics are bad but the last time I looked the unvented Delco opti costs $100 more than the unvented. I once removed removed an opti from a running engine and put in another engine and it didn't work.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Planning on running a 700R4 since I have a recently rebuilt unit in the car now. 93s came with 700R4/4L60 originally so it should have tv cable hookups and as far as I can see it should bolt right up (engine in there now is an L83 crossfire).

Not going to mod the engine to start with, as this will be my first engine swap. Plan is to get it in the car and wired up and running and we'll go from there.

I need to have the pcm reprogrammed in any case (to get VATS and air/egr programmed out) so I suppose I could switch to a newer ecm. If my google fu does not fail me the 93 is speed density however, so I'd have to source a MAF + wiring as well as a new ecm.

Trying to avoid falling in to the "nickle and dime yourself to death" trap I keep reading about on engine swap threads though :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts