Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to wire up my new radar detector & I can't easily locate something that is switched? I'm about to pull apart the dash to gain access to the radio switched wire (yellow per 12volt.com).

Is there something else I can do??

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
its the remote wire from the radio, make sure u add in a fuse wouldn't wanna blow the radio now would we??

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can just piggyback the orange wire in the ignition harness.

Strip back an inch or so of insulation on the wire...(dont cut it) and solder your wire for the radar detector.

Should be Right below the steering column under the dash. That is the switched 12V accessory wire.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can just piggyback the orange wire in the ignition harness.

Strip back an inch or so of insulation on the wire...(dont cut it) and solder your wire for the radar detector.

Should be Right below the steering column under the dash. That is the switched 12V accessory wire.
Awesome this! the detector came with an adapter to easily tap into a wire without needing a cut. As soon as I wire this, I'm done.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the remote wire from the radio, make sure u add in a fuse wouldn't wanna blow the radio now would we??
The radar detector hasa fuse in line already.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Awesome this! the detector came with an adapter to easily tap into a wire without needing a cut. As soon as I wire this, I'm done.

THANKS!

I recommend soldering it, since it is in the ignition harness. you wouldn't want one of those wires to break.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recommend soldering it, since it is in the ignition harness. you wouldn't want one of those wires to break.
Well, when I looked under the dash closer, I saw about 1/3rd of the wires were orange! I'm not 100% on where the ignition loom was. I did notice a loom that is screwed in (above gas pedal). I want to get the light tester to determine which one is switched.

GOLDANGIT! I just remembered I've got the BBody service book (not the FSM).

·
Registered
581 Posts
One possibility for tapping into the wire is Crimp splice connectors. They crimp over the stock ignition wire and then you can plug a standard 1/4" connector into them. That way you can easily remove the tapped in wire if need be and it doesn't really damage the main wire. In addition to the 10-12ga wire size they are also available in the "Blue" 14-16ga size and the red 18-20ga wire size as well. Fry's Electronics and Napa also sells them as well so don't necessarily have to get them from Radio Shack. - Peter

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One possibility for tapping into the wire is Crimp splice connectors. They crimp over the stock ignition wire and then you can plug a standard 1/4" connector into them. That way you can easily remove the tapped in wire if need be and it doesn't really damage the main wire. In addition to the 10-12ga wire size they are also available in the "Blue" 14-16ga size and the red 18-20ga wire size as well. Fry's Electronics and Napa also sells them as well so don't necessarily have to get them from Radio Shack. - Peter
That's exactly what I have in a blue one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
IMO if you're gonna use thosem you need to get the right size Tap. The ignition wires are either 10 or 12 gauge, which means you would need the yellows. If you use blues you run the chance of cutting the wire in half.

·
Registered
581 Posts
That's why I gave the link to the yellow ones :) - Peter

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure about the specifics to the guages of wires, but I did pick a smaller wire (larger number, smaller wire). It seemed just right for the clip.

I *STILL* need to find a switched wire, the one I tapped was constant. :( It'll get me through until I find the right one. I feel naked w/o my radar detector.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
As said above, and I am sorry if this hurts some feelings of others that have posted, but the crimp tap splices are JUNK, I wouldn't use them if it was the last thing on earth. Even if they are the right size theystill break strands, solder the wire on there, easy as pie.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm not sure about the specifics to the guages of wires, but I did pick a smaller wire (larger number, smaller wire). It seemed just right for the clip.

I *STILL* need to find a switched wire, the one I tapped was constant. :( It'll get me through until I find the right one. I feel naked w/o my radar detector.
You can find a switched 12v in those VVVV places. It is a different color in each place.

Ignitoin swith-
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/530.html

Cruise control-
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/cruisedetail/530.html

Stereo-
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/530.html

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can find a switched 12v in those VVVV places. It is a different color in each place.

Ignitoin swith-
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/530.html

Cruise control-
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/cruisedetail/530.html

Stereo-
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/530.html
See my 1st post as I had already consulted 12 volt for the stereo wire. While the color wire is great info, where it physically located is more important to me at the moment.

·
Registered
444 Posts
See my 1st post as I had already consulted 12 volt for the stereo wire. While the color wire is great info, where it physically located is more important to me at the moment.

The cruise control and ignition harness' are located on top of the steering column.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The cruise control and ignition harness' are located on top of the steering column.
I'm guessing these are easier accessed with the dash off too huh?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah you have to remove the lower dash and 2 bolts holding up the steering column up.
Fuuuuuuuuuck that! I said EASY ACCESS! See the title! ;)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Use a volt meter and pick a fuse in the box on the drivers side of the dash that has voltage supplied when the ignition switch is on. Tap into it there (taps available at most autoparts stores) and add your wire. Route the wire in a way that makes you happy.

Good luck,
TOM B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts