Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months of trying how to upgrade the front brakes without spending big bucks, I figured it out :D. Got a set of Raybestos from pads PGD153M. Standards are a PGD52M. Quick and easy to install, fit in the stock calipers, very simple. Any brake number that is a "153" should work as it varies by company. Any questions, please let me know. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
OK....what qualifies these new/different pads as an "upgrade"?

Pads wear, and at some point they get replaced, and that alone is considered service or repair. That's NOT an upgrade....and what do D153 pads fit, by the way--and what is the rotor diameter & thickness for that application?

If it's not "spec"--either D52 or D614 for the (front) calipers used on these cars, I caution anyone about taking this path.

While you were at it, what else did you do to the rotors or calipers at the same time the new pads were installed?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
PGD153 is a semi-met 3/4HD-1 ton Chevy truck pad. Similar backing plate as the 52 but thicker material(if I remember right) so I'm not sure how it is an "upgrade", but I know they were used for fleet service since they lasted longer.

·
Super Moderator
6,000 Posts
Let's see some side by side shots of the two pads. I would like a pad that sweeps to the edge of the rotor (like most modern cars) to avoid the "rust ridge" that standard pads leave.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The upgraded part is that there are other pad offerings than just the standards for the same cost. As far as the chamfered edges, it all depends on the company that makes the pads. Based on the couple passed I made today, my car has much better stopping power than it did before the pads. The rotors are still the stock rotor.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts