Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a cheap ebay backup camera? I ask because I noticed there fairly inexpensive I just wasn't sure if there worth buying

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I bought one for around $18 three years ago. IR and has green yellow and red lines for location. Colors aren't perfect, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that answers the question because I just can't see spend over 100$ on a backup camera if the cheap ones work good enough

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my equipment yesterday. I bought a license plate frame with a camera for a bit more ($50) from amazon, but it had solid reviews. I also bought a 4 inch monitor ($20) to mount on my dash. The rear view mirrors that fit over top of factory mirrors didn't seem like a good option and didn't want to spend $200+ on a new head unit.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I just got my equipment yesterday. I bought a license plate frame with a camera for a bit more ($50) from amazon, but it had solid reviews. I also bought a 4 inch monitor ($20) to mount on my dash. The rear view mirrors that fit over top of factory mirrors didn't seem like a good option and didn't want to spend $200+ on a new head unit.
Cool. Post a pic of how you run your line into the car from the license plate.

-Mike

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I bought a licence plate cam, but then realized we have to pull our plates down...so the wire may be a problem.

Then I thought about using it on the wagon, but there isn't a hole for the wire to go through and I'm not about to make one, so besides leaving a foot of slack on the sedan I dunno.

Surprised there are not more pics of these cameras on our cars.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I bought a licence plate cam, but then realized we have to pull our plates down...so the wire may be a problem.

Then I thought about using it on the wagon, but there isn't a hole for the wire to go through and I'm not about to make one, so besides leaving a foot of slack on the sedan I dunno.

Surprised there are not more pics of these cameras on our cars.
I've been dinking around with the idea for a license plate cam for a while now and that's why I asked how he'd route the wires. I too would like not to drill holes in the body if I don't have to. We'll see!

-Mike

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
On a sedan it'd be easier. You should be able to run it behind the bumper cover and through the tail light grommet area. A wagon? Only thing I can think of is below bumper on trailer hitch maybe. But that may be a bit too low for me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So umm....any updates with the licence plate camera? I assume the wires have to be tucked behind the bumper cause that's where the fuel goes in...any pics or advice would be pretty sweet. I'm still debating on what to do. This NY weather is bi-polar here so umm, yea pics would help:)

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
So umm....any updates with the licence plate camera? I assume the wires have to be tucked behind the bumper cause that's where the fuel goes in...any pics or advice would be pretty sweet. I'm still debating on what to do. This NY weather is bi-polar here so umm, yea pics would help:)

sorry here is how I did it

I USE a pioneer premier 90 BT in one ss and Clarion fold out in the other ss with the detail SS dash kit awesome btw

The video wire needs to be about 18 foot long I made my one with hi quality cable and ends as I have access to it from my dads job

Power and Ground depends on if you want it to be on if the car is in reverse only or if you want to see it any time or both

I hooked it up so it is on whenever I want to use but most tvs have a switched input that has to be hooked up to the reverse switch wire

in my case I hooked it to constant ground in the driver side where the trunk light ground is and my remote amplifier output provides the acc power via a relay I use to pwer 3 amps and a crossover already so I can always use it when the radio is on as it activates the relay via the remote turn on that activates the relay and turns on all accy in my trunk

Remove the leaping deer or bowtie emblem and the power trunk pop motor and key lock assembly

I used a pyle camera that had infared and was slightly larger than the lock it came with a hole saw but I opted to use a unibit to slightly enlarge the hole about 1/32" or less ithrew the box away

all wires were run with the trunk pop motor and tag light harness through the lid using the factory harness to pull the camera lights up through to the hole by taping them on so I didn't run any wires externally

the tag light has to be notched and the trunk lock relocated to the bare metal area below I used the trunk lock gasket as a sort of template for what to cut out

the metal bar that connects the lock to the hinge has to be slightly shortened as well
bout 3/4" I believe but the key will still work note in pic above where the hole has to be drilled and then I used a dremel to make the trunk lock notches

finished product

sorry should of took more pics as I went along and I dynamited over ever thing so I cant even take pics from behind the pyle camera was threaded and had a nut that I installed from the outside to hold it in place MAKE SURE it is right side up before putting it all back together it did fit with the factory SS emblem but I bought this blacked out one from ST I believe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts