Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just curious : is your car lowered at all?

I know that Edelbrock says one thing here (works fine on stock height cars, won't work on lowered). I have another theory (the quality control SUCKS on them, regardless of ride height).

Contact Edelbrock though, they DO seem to be pretty accomodating about replacing them when they are blown (which is happening a LOT with these shocks).

I'll just reiterate again how much I like my Koni Adjustables. They aren't cheap (around $85-90 per shock) but they are TONS better than the stock shocks!

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they were on my 94 caprice that had a totally stock everything when installed.
Im going to replace with some regular $30 Monrow's and see how i like them.

ED-I plan on getting the Koni's for the SS next spring they sound sweet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went through 2 sets of the Edelbrocks and finally switched over to the Bilsteins.

The Bilsteins have given me no leaks and no trouble at all.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Brewdawg (edited October 20, 2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after contacting Edelcrap they say tough!
Next time I'll go with a company that makes shocks. They must spend more on advertizing than they do on R&D cause there shocks really suck bad!!! I feal bad for anyone that orders their new N2O system as in KABOOM!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same situation here, I had my IAS shocks for about a year and noticed them deteriorating a few months ago. I just switched to the softer Bilsteins and absolutely love them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw a commercial on TNT this weekend, that had Vic Edelbrock saying that his parts were the best..."or I wouldn't put my name on it."

I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I have some $10 shocks in the car (no $ at the time) that even though they are worn after 1 year, they aren't leaking!

Later...

------------------

'96 LT1 Caprice
<SAIL>
** For Sale ** 17x8 Eagle Alloy wheels. See For Sale Section for more info...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One word: Bilsteins, baby

Paid ~$240, no runs, no leaks, just right with the HA/F -body sway bars and the stock springs (IMHO).

Eric

------------------
96 DCM motor, handling, drivetrain and interior mods
96 LT4 Corvette

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bilsteins - got the softer ones due to the Crappy roads here in NY, on both my '96's. I'll also say KYB's but they were a little too stiff for these roads, I actually blew out a rear on on a second set.

------------------
Pete M. '96 DCM SS, '96 B4U Caprice, '91 9C1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd also avoid the KYBs, and only do the cheap Monroes if you have no other options.

I've found that you USUALLY get what you pay for in shocks (although the Edelbrocks being expensive AND crappy goes against this theorem
). Hint : the KYBs are cheap. Everyone I've heard of that got them said the KYBs are GREAT at first, but wear out really quickly (within 1-2 years).

The Bilsteins are an excellent shock. I personally think the Konis are a little better for all-out handling, but might not be as suited to really bad (i.e. pothole-littered) roads. Other excellent shocks are the double-adjustable Konis (though be sitting down when you see the price!), Hal, and it only goes up in $$$ from there

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got the Bilsteins-the softer ones put in last weekend. Awesome, the car rides nice and is much more controlled than the old crappy Edelbrocks. Highly recommended..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can front the ca$h, go for the HALs. They are versatile enough to offer great ride quality, awesome drag launches or superior handling and all at the turn of a knob. They are rebuildable and the construction quality is unparalleled (billet housing, retainer clips for all rotatating parts, lightweight)

I beleive you can get them from Summit for about $140/each (front/rear)

------------------
squeezed to please...
LD9s to LT1s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KYB's SUCK!! My friend had them on his car, (not a b body) and they have horrible ride and they make a ton of noise and he has already had to replace one of them. He hasnt even had them a year!!! NEVER BUY THEM!

------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by S.I. Super Sport:
Bilsteins - got the softer ones due to the Crappy roads here in NY, on both my '96's. I'll also say KYB's but they were a little too stiff for these roads, I actually blew out a rear on on a second set.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the KYB Police package shocks on my lowered 95 BBB and they're working very well. They were pretty cheap too ($40 each) and when I bought them I took advantage of the free installation Pep Boys was offering. They don't bottom out with the car being lowered and they dampen the ride very well. A good deal overall!

------------------
Take it easy,

Brian in Chicago,
HERD #510
NAISSO# 4408

1995 Impala SS, SLP TC, 3.42 gears, AS&M Shorty Headers, LT1 Edit programming, Corvette TB Duct, TB coolant bypass, Descreened MAF, Oil Breather, LT4 Knock Module, Billet Specialties flamed valve covers, Walker high flow cats, Flowmasters w/ resonator delete, B&M Shift Plus, MSD Ignition, coil and wires, MOOG idler arm, Mobil 1, Air pump delete, Bosch Platinums, Beltech lowering springs, KYB Gas Shocks, Autometer tach in A pillar pod, Sequential Blinking Taillights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got Bilsteins on mine - went with the softer ones due to the crappy city streets in Houston. They are great shocks.

Craig
'96 DCM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny how things happen....I read this thread a few days ago and thought..."Boy, I'm one of the lucky ones" Then this morning...strange noises from the front end...wierd vibrations...got to work, front IAS shocks leaking like a "freaking faucet"!

These things SUCK! I thought you got what you paid for....but not with these shocks! This stuff started appearing on the NAISSO and B-body lists right after they came out, and continues to this day. What crap!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark....There aren't going to be any replacement Edelbrocks. I am going to try and negotiate a credit for them and pay the difference for better ones maybe Bilsteins?

One thing is for sure...I'll put new overpriced DeCarbons on before another set of those pieces of crap go on my car.

BTW...my car is BONE STOCK, so there isn't an outside culprit like lowering involved.

OK...K&N filter....BUT THAT's IT....and the rear end....BUT NOTHING ELSE!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.