Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Edelbrock IAS shocks. How do they feel in relation to the stockers? I'm sure they aren't the best for drag racing but for the other 99.9% of the time it seems like a good idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've had the Edelbrock IAS shocks in my 96 SS for over two years now. I installed them myself. They cost $300 over the counter from Pep Boys (special order). I am completely satisfied with them. They are firmer than the original shocks, but not too firm. From what I've read, they are not as firm as the Bilstien shocks. At one point, Edelbrock had a problem with the seals and oil would leak out. Mine have never leaked. The shocks come with a lifetime warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll just mention that Edelbrock is STILL having QC problems and seal leakages on them. In other words, Greg got (very) lucky.

You're still welcome to try them, but don't say you weren't warned....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been i front end mechanic for 3 years and I can not justify spending $300.00 on a set of shocks. That is crazy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought $300 was pretty steep too. I decided to go for it after considering the lifetime warranty is from an established company and the fact that a leaky shock won't leave me stranded. Also, I think most of the leaky shocks came from lowered Impalas. I don't think these shocks are well suited to lowered suspensions. Also, the ride quality is perfect for my daily driver - that spends 90% of its miles on the freeway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg : the "lowered vehicle" argument was, to be blunt, a buncha BS from Edelbrock. Stock height CAPRICES have had problems with it as well. It's a crappy design : Edelbrock knows it, but evidently isn't inclined to do much about it. Ask mn mark on this forum about HIS recent experience with Edelbrock (in other words, lifetime warranty : yeah right :D ).

Once you drive a car with much better shocks (i.e. more expensive), you'll understand why folks spend the bucks on them.....

On an SS, I'd go with Konis or the stiffer Bilsteins for handling, the softer Bilsteins for "some" handling with better ride comfort, or the Hal 12-way adjustables if you drag race.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the reason they put that boot on the shocks is because the shocks are upside down when compared to "normal" shocks. The boot keeps dirt from working its way into the shock. The shock has to be inverted to allow the inertia valve to work correctly. The shock is designed to be stiffer when the body rolls during cornering and less stiff when the wheel hits a bump.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had them on my Wagon for @ year now, no leaks :eek: , knock on wood! They ride nice, paid $75 each thru Carparts.com.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6 months and they were all bad! And the fronts didnt just leak they froze up!
that on a totally stock adult driven 94 caprice. We have since switched to the bilstein 1516 1517 and its a much nicer ride.
The edelcraps seemed nice for about3 months.
Never purchase shocks made by an intake manifold company!there carbs suck too

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two Caprices,
Two sets of Edelbrocks,
ZERO problems!!
Guess I'm just a lucky so and so too, huh Ed?
(BTW, I paid $0.00 for both sets through Carparts.crap, that is one Mickey Mouse operation)
Oh yeah, the shocks work great! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been on the national digest (NAISSO) as well as SoCalSS for 3 or 4 years. I have never heard of anyone having defective shocks show up on all four corners at the same time - regardless of brand. I'm not saying it couldn't or didn't happen, but it makes me wonder about the car and where and how it was driven. Were the shocks installed correctly. Were they the right part number? Was the car in a flood? Is the car lowered? I've read about too many happy owners to believe that the Edelbrocks are crap. I'm not saying they are necessarily the best or that they are perfect. If someone buys an Impala SS that is a lemon, it doesn't mean that all Impalas are lemons. I tend to judge products on my personal experiences, not the experiences of the masses, so I can see why someone would have such a harsh opinion about the Edelbrocks if they had a bad experience with them. However, you have to still leave open the possibility that a bad experience with the Edelbrocks does not prove that they are "crap". I'm not trying to start a flame war - just providing my $.02 on the subject.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.