Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other than crushed wires or a sticking relay (both of which I really doubt) it is very likely the actual height control up to no good. The entire system except the level control is very simplistic. Ground a wire it goes up, ground a different wire it goes down. When you get inside the leveling valve it gets complex. The electronics control timing, delay, timeouts, resets etc.
I would suggest you unplug the level control and see. If you had some fluke wiring problem on the car it would still jack up. I really don't think it will. Oh yeah, make sure the ground for the leveling valve is good. I was chasing a leak that I could not find at one point only to find that some times for no rhyme or reason my level control would command both the up and down circuits. You would hear the pump run and run until the time out sequence stopped it. If you need them I could copy the diagrams from the Manual.
Regards, Gerry Charlesworth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gerry. I pulled the fuse this morning when it was cool, and it stayed down. I think I can get the diagrams from a friend. By the way it does come on when the key is in the off position, but just for a few seconds. Could this be the release of air? The car was down pretty low already, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clark, pulling the fuse is going to kill it no matter what. Pulling the plug on the leveling control will make sure it is not crushed wiring. Because the control grounds circuits to operate the pump, there are two wires that if crushed will run the dump and or pump and not blow fuses.
As I said in the first post, the control is quite elaborate in its function. When it lowers you will only here a subtle click and air coming out at the left front. The compressor only runs if the system is trying to raise the car. The control has a time out feature that resets with the cycling of the key if it was trying to run for an extended period of time. Also some years do a quick cycle on "key on" to make sure there is at least min air in the system so the bags will not be flat and get damaged. Check with your friend to see if he has the factory info. If not I have the 95 books that I believe are the same.
You have checked the obvious, like the link to the control is broken or disconnected?
Regards, Gerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.