Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put '92 Roadmaster seats in one of my Caprice wagons some years back. The Caprice does not provide wiring for the passenger electric recline but providing power for it is simply accomplished by splicing into the hot wire that is already in the Caprice's harness.

Last year, it was brought to my attention that the electric recline was no longer working. It is trying to work. I can feel the cable twist when the motor puts a load on it. I took the seat out this year, hoping having full access to it might help me see how to fix things but I figured out nothing.

Yesterday, we had our first ever Roadmaster show up at a central Ohio OASIS meeting. Guy has a '92 Roadmaster with the same problem.

Anybody out there ever fix this, and if so, how?

KC

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
There are two jackscrews on the sides of the seat. You will have to pull the seat, and remove the jackscrews to free them up. The grease gets thick, and the threads tend to get a little rust on them. Between the two issues, they can bind. I soaked the gear heads in PB Blaster for a while, and they eventually freed up. The gears move the jackscrews front and back to move the back of the seat.

There are two large hex screws holding the gear heads to the frame, and a pin with a push nut at the seat back. You have to disconnect the cables from the gear heads. They are side specific, so they have to be installed on the same side as they were removed from. Make sure the gearheads are in the same position, front to back on both units, when reinstalling as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts