Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Electric Water pump Options

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  SV SS 
#1 · (Edited)
I have finally decided to get myself an electric water pump as I am tired of having the OEM pump replaced every year. I was looking at Jegs and Summit, and besides the ever popular (but also most expensive) Meziere pump, there are ones made by Jegs and Summit as well as CSR. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Jegs/Summit/CSR pumps? Most people seem to run the Meziere, but it is like $30 more which would pay for the shipping of the cheaper pumps to get them to my house.

Also, for the pump relay, did everyone just make their own harness? or did you buy a painless one from jegs/summit or one from innovative wiring?

#2 ·
IIRC, and off the top of my head - so you should double-check me - Summit looks like a re-branded Meziere, and maybe only had the lower flow available as an option? CSR, you have to grind on the housing to install the pump, so it's a little extra work. Jegs. I have no idea.

I've had very good luck with the Meziere HD and a good experience dealing with them directly when it came time to have the pump refurbished. I don't know if that option is available with any of the others. Of course, I don't know that it isn't, either.

#3 ·
Get the Meziere HD. The others don't flow as much.

#7 ·
Well, only part time, anyway. It's been a long time since I did this, but from what I recall, I jumpered the switched side of the AIR pump relay slot to the switched side of the fuel pump relay slot which gives you a constant ground when the key is in the on position (if I'm remembering correctly, it's a constant hot and the relay gets grounded when power is called for) instead of only when the AIR pump is called for by the PCM. There are a few ways to approach this, but that's the one that seemed most simple to me. On the other end of the harness, I cut off the AIR pump plug, twisted the two power wires together (there are two power wires and a ground for that connector, if I'm remembering right) and soldered on the connector for the water pump.

A few other people have done this as well. I had the idea, then did a search and found some folks had done it. I think Beertestr might have been one of them? it's been a long time and the threads are gone until some of the old stuff gets brought back.

#9 ·
If I was doing this today, I'd probably use Gary's harness. It wasn't available at the time and the Painless harness wasn't very well-reviewed. Plus, I liked the idea of using the AIR pump harness since it was just sitting there doing nothing and it already had a relay wired into the underhood box. I can tell you, it's worked like a charm for a bunch of years now, and for a few of those years the car was my daily.

#19 ·
Another Meziere and Gary's harness... my Meziere finally started weeping out the hole after 4 years or so on a DD, I've never tried the others but from what I've seen myself, I'd go Meziere from now on...

Reactions: Toms9C1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.