Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing Gary's electric waterpump harness for the Meziere in the '96 Fleetwood. Instructions are for Impala, Caprice, Roadmaster when it comes to accessing pin 86 in the fuse box. I've done it and it is easy...HOWEVER...accessing the pin in the Fleetwood fuse box has me stuck. I cannot see how to release the fuse tray in the fuse box with the #86 pin.

I have the whole fuse box loose, protecting the outrigger relays, and cannot figure this out. There are two tabs (slots?) on the bottom side opposite the battery lead but they don't seem to do anything when pressed. I cannot see what is holding the trays in much lessl what releases a tray

Anyone have a solution?

I need a solution as am out of ideas and appreciate your help. I have emailed Gary as well but find the Forum is often faster.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boldly going where no man has gone before...

Gary told me he's never installed the electric water pump harness in a Fleetwood. Guess I will be the first, eh?

Getting into the bottom of the fuse box would make it very simple. Next time I see a Fleetwood in the junk yard it will donate its fuse box for autopsy.

Meanwhile I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Odd timing on your comment...

I think I have a solution...

I was wasting time in the Daytona JY today but managed to harvest a few relays like the AIR pump relay.

Visualize this: When you crack open one of these relays, like a walnut, it exposes the four pins. Since the AIR pump relay is not necassary with the AIR pump deleted, it can be removed from the fuse box. I did find out the secret to opening the Fleetwood fuse box but, compared to the B-Body fuse box, it's not worth the effort, IMHO, to access position 86 from underneath. Not to mention Cadillac left very little space available even for what's in the fuse box, much less getting it open.

I am simply using one of the aforementioned relay's pins to make the jumper and insert into position 86 (the only place I could seem to find key-on power) to power the water pump harness. The donor pin, a bit of solder work and heat shrink tubing...DONE! And it is totally reversible but why one would I cannot imagine.

The Meziere and Gary's harness make life with the Brougham cooling system so much better. Maybe I can post some photos on how to do this next. At least I got it solved, in my situation anyway.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish i would have seen this earlier, i might have been able to help.

I installed mine back in May with Gary's harness, and it was kind of a pain to gain access to the bottom of the fuse box. If i remember correctly there was a blue retainer clip that slides out and gives you access to the pin. I wish i would have taken some pictures at the time cause i'm terrible at explaining things.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep...

The wiring to the fuse box is tight and short. I could not figure out a way to get the blue keeper out even after destroying a fuse box in the JY to see just how it was put together. There are three sections and each has a keeper, if I recall correctly. That's when I said screw this and made a pin jumper from a relay pin to go in slot 86. I have photos but have not had the free time to post anything yet.

Feel free to write out what you did to get the retainer out. You may have the key I was not seeing.

Thanks,

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
sounds good let's see pics. i for one, am so sick of running into endless fleetwood-only issues. but it's worth it, they're awesome.
x2

And x2 on some pics! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts