Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this may or may not be related to my fuel pump problem. Probably not but it seems strange that all of this was working fine the night before it quit on me.
So tonight I decided to look to see whats up with the fuel pump. While I was checking things out with the key turned on (lights on automatic) I noticed my tail lights were really dim and my third brake light was on. Pull the bulb from that and the tail lights shut off completely. 4 ways work, signals do not as if the flasher is gone. They worked fine the night before the fuel pump quit.
Now before I go any farther, would a dead flasher cause tail lights to do this?

If not.....The day the fuel pump died, the car started and I got about 20 feet and it stalled. let the car sit and it would fire up and dies with in about 5 seconds.
This had me puzzled because in my past experience when the fuel pump quits, it wont fire at all.

There are all kinds of wires in the trunk of this car. Old amp and sub wires and a trailer harness tapped in to the tail light wires. Old amp and tail lights appear to be grounded to the same area.
When I was replacing light bulbs a few days before it died on me, I had to repair the licence plate light as it was cut off and being used for the running lights on the trailer harness. I did not touch any other wires back there though.
So as I was saying before, I know at least the signals were working the night before the fuel pump decided to quit on me and now I discover all these problems. I guess my next step is to check for power going to the fuel pump but it almost seems like I should be looking for a short in the harness going to the back of the car. I'm assuming the fuel pump wires and tail light wires run in the same harness.
This wouldn't be the first time I had problems because of the previous owners bad wiring.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
There is a group of ground wires screwed to a brace near your left trunk hinge. I'd start looking there first.

Items grounded here include:

All rear lights
Rear defrost
keyless entry
Fuel sender
Fuel pump

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that.
That is where the old amp wires are grounded to as well. I wonder if one of those wires grounded out on something else.
Have to wait til tomorrow though. Got the battery on a charger. Kind of killed it checking things out.
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
The wire would not be grounded to someting else, it would be an open circuit, hence no ground. If the ground is not established, the circuit could "find" ground through another component, and possibly have a high resistance, or even fry the other component.

My brother had a bad engine ground years ago, and it found a new circuit through the headlights. He would turn the switch to start, and his headlights would come on dim. Turns out the engineers used a bolt that went through to the water jacket in the engine, and it rusted from the inside. Now that is what I call intelligent engineering (440 Chrysler motor)!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so we were poking around a bit today. Found a connector under the car on the drivers side that goes through the the floor in the back seat. The two wires coming out of that plug run up to the top of the fuel tank and one wire was broken. The wire really looks too small of a gauge to be the fuel pump and are the wrong color than what the book told me.
Any idea what those two wires are? One white and one kind of brown.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
OK so we were poking around a bit today. Found a connector under the car on the drivers side that goes through the the floor in the back seat. The two wires coming out of that plug run up to the top of the fuel tank and one wire was broken. The wire really looks too small of a gauge to be the fuel pump and are the wrong color than what the book told me.
Any idea what those two wires are? One white and one kind of brown.
That's ABS wiring.

Your F/P wires are part of the tail light harness. The wires to the tank are near the tank fill tube.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed.
It was the ground wire going in to the plug in the trunk to the tail lights. The ground terminal in the plug was burnt. We by passes the wire and the tail lights go nice and bright and the fuel pump started working.
Thanks for the help guys. If I never noticed the tail lights being dim like that, I probably would have dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
That's great news! :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts