Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. Does anyone know the GM part number for the steering wheel position sensor used in the variable-effort power steering? (94 RM wagon, in my case) Evidently this is an obsolete part, and I can't get far searching without a part number. Or maybe someone knows where there might be one of these? thx.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answered my own question, somewhat...

I did learn that the OEM part number for this sensor was 26060653 but have not had any luck at all with several "obsolete GM parts" sources. So maybe there are none in the known universe. I have just bought a used steering column just to get this sensor - we'll see how that works out. The symptom was that at certain wheel positions the sensor would go dead, and as a result the steering effort would change a lot, jerking the wheel to one side or the other. A very disconcerting event, and could cause an accident if you weren't expecting it.
Evidently variable effort was NA on Chevy, optional on Buick and standard on Fleetwood. Perhaps not surprisingly, Fleetwood columns are offered on eBay for a lot more than Buick or Chevy ones, despite being the same internally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts