Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, when I left for work my car battery was dead. I had left the battery connected to both terminals, I usually take off the positive when I'm not driving it anywhere and my battery has been fine when I do that. it's like something is draining it but I can't find the source. it has a new starter in it, optima battery and a working alternator. I grounded the alternator wire to the chassis, does anybody have a clue where there might be another wire in a 1995 Chevy Impala engine bay that may be getting old and draining the battery when connected? also the battery is in the trunk if that makes a difference.
thank you
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
If the battery is in the trunk, that means someone has done their own wiring in your car.

The problem could be anywhere, but that's where I would start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
Hey guys, when I left for work my car battery was dead. I had left the battery connected to both terminals, I usually take off the positive when I'm not driving it anywhere and my battery has been fine when I do that. it's like something is draining it but I can't find the source. it has a new starter in it, optima battery and a working alternator. I grounded the alternator wire to the chassis, does anybody have a clue where there might be another wire in a 1995 Chevy Impala engine bay that may be getting old and draining the battery when connected? also the battery is in the trunk if that makes a difference.
thank you
Sounds like you have some none stock stuff installed so it could be anything. But must be a parasitic current draw somewhere. Be sure to check glovebox and trunk lights first that they aren't left on.

If it's nothing obvious like those lights then you need to get your meter out and check the current draw and isolate which circuit it is killing the battery. The easist way to do this is pull the fuses and add them back until you find which circuit has the current draw and then get the schematic for the circuit and figure out the issue. Of course any non factory stuff would be my first suspicion so be sure to double check those and the wiring.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top