Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone shed some light on this problem- 96 ss, my starter starts clicking when i try to start the car so i take the starter to get rebuilt/ new solinoid, re install samething. i then start looking at batt cables and replace all, samething still clicks, replace batt still clicks. what i have dicovered is the single voltage at starter is 10 volts dc. i installed a temp single wire from batt for test and it starts everytime. so with that known
my question- does anyone have a wire schematic for these cars ? i would like to know if there are any plugs etc back to the switched source, or does the single wire go directly to the ignition switch? are the ignition switches known for going bad?

question 2- on the trans line there is a press sensor of some kind. mine is unplugged, almost looks like it was done on a purpose. what is this sensor?

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
The wiring diagram is in the FSM.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Factory Service Manual

·
Registered
581 Posts
Unless you know a shop that can rebuild the starter(our starters are listed as non rebuildable), I would just upgrade to the 92-96 Corvette LT1 gear reduction starter, uses less power when cranking the engine and is rebuildable, a great upgrade even if your starter is not bad. You can get them at AutoZone for about $160 out the door(compared to $160+core charge for the stock Caprice/Impala SS starter). Though from what it sounds like the cable that goes from the battery is has corroded connectors, is loose, or bad, as there should be very little to no voltage drop across the cable and should have a bit over 12 volts between the starter side of the battery-stater cable and ground. A common upgrade is Innovative Wiring's replacement battery cable set. Made by Gary(from the forum here) and is a high quality battery cable set made with 1/0 gauge and 2 gauge wiring for best possible connection and high amperage rating. - Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, that is nice stuff he makes.
i have the cable part handled, just want to rectify the low voltage at the starter single wire (small wire)

thanks for the starter part#

for a temp test i installed a 40 amp relay to the single wire and attach the normally open contact starter-batt. works fine

continue looking for low voltage/ amp problem

anyone have a wire schematic they can send me?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts