Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know, the 94 Caprice is ready or testing. Got the new F-body EGR valve (and the check engine light stopped coming on), oil change, PCV valve, air filter and got the exhaust leak repaired.

What else is there to do to make the numbers come out legal?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fuel filter could help too. Make sure both fans run when they should. I failed the first test because my primary fan motor was nearly dead.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure it is nice and hot when they test it. Take it for a good highway drive right before you get there, and leave it running before they pull it in the shop.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jayoldschool:
Make sure it is nice and hot when they test it. Take it for a good highway drive right before you get there, and leave it running before they pull it in the shop.
Wouldn't driving in town in traffic make the engine hotter? Since, you're doing 35/45 instead of 65/75 on the highway with the air moving much faster?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, she failed.

Passed the high speed HC check - 36 ppm

Failed the low speed HC check - 292 ppm

(Standard is 220 for either one)

Failed high speed CO check - 1.41%

Failed low speed CO check - 1.89%

(Standard is 1.20% for either one)

Probably looking at new cats after the exhaust leak the car used to have. Guess I'll do the o2 sensors at the same time...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put a few ounces of acetone in the tank to reduce the HC numbers, the ratio is about 450:1, and about 1 oz of toluene to every 1 gallon to clean up the carbon deposits in the engine that are soaking up fuel and then dripping off.

Or have a Motorvac done.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by SCSUATWIM B4U:
Put a few ounces of acetone in the tank to reduce the HC numbers, the ratio is about 450:1, and about 1 oz of toluene to every 1 gallon to clean up the carbon deposits in the engine that are soaking up fuel and then dripping off.
Are those available at auto parts stores?

Or have a Motorvac done.
Motorvac?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
id change out the 02 senors, spend the bucks and get the ac one's. bosch ive heard dont work well with our cars,mine had just passed with numbers right one the money, to close for comfort, id also change the oil, check timing,i ran mind down the hiway cruse on @65 , and return back the same way then pulled into the emission station, but then it sat for like 15-20 min i was thinkin about open /close loop would id get screwed, but passed ..good luck to ya

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Jaybo:
Are those available at auto parts stores?

Motorvac?
Home Depot stocks both acetone and toluene (lacquer thinner.)

Yes, Motorvac.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts