Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to improve the handling of my SS, I was questioning an engine bay brace. Not that my GW/QA1 equipped SS isn't stiff enough, I just wanted some insight into this EBB.

Now.... on a unibody car, I can see this being beneficial, where the brace actually impedes the fenders from flexing inwards. On our car, since the fenders don't hold the shocks and springs.... is this thing really necessary or is it just a money gimmick?

TIA

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Bob,

I think you have it. I think it is a money gimmick or maybe cosmetic. I guess it could tighten up the front body pieces, but not help handling.

Mike

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir
I have read some post in the past about this & they all said the brace was for looks & did not help our "on frame" cars as it helps unibodies. It still looks impressive.
babyhauler

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cosmetic only. Looks nice, but doesn't help handling a bit. And it adds weight :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! You have helped confirm my theory... Its a unibody conspiracy!!! :D :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purely cosmetic :D although Hotchkis says it helps, but they are the ones selling them also.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may not help suspension wise, but I think it helps to stiffen up the front end.

At one of the HERD meetings, I was talking to one of the guys who had it on his SS, and he told me that it stiffened up the front a little bit.
He also said when you go over bumps with the SS with out EBB, the head lights vibrate and vobale a little, (I totaly agree, especially on the highway) with it, it's more stiff like a unibody. Or maybe there is a way to tighten up the head lamps so they don't get jiggy with it on bumps.

I wish I could test this EBB thing first hand.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't help handling. Hell, John Hotchkis himself (sheepishly) admitted as much at the Hotchkis seminar last August.

I COULD see it helping stiffen the fenders and headlight mounting some....but that's about it.

If you think the headlights bounce now, try them with a stiffer suspension

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"If you think the headlights bounce now, try them with a stiffer suspension"

Um...yeah. I'd definitely agree with this one. The good side is that *I'm* bouncing w/ it so they look pretty smooth to me!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One nice thing about Florida: smooth roads!!!

Believe it or not, I've NEVER seen headlight bounce in the Cherry Bomb

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing that you could do to stiffen up the front end would be to add the additional body bushing to the front of the car. The impala SS and the civilian caprices didn't have bushings forward of the firewall to make the ride smoother. The 9C1 got some additional bushings to stiffen up the front. More information is at Killer Body Mounts on The Herd website.

Steve

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an engine bay brace, but I won it at the SoFASST birthday bash last year. Not sure I would fork out the cash for one. They look cool.

Saving my money for some TriY headers.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Hotchkiss Brace provides a perfect place
to set your beer, er beverage of choice while
working under the hood. This alone is worth
something.

Allen Mirse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts