Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if it is worth it to buy an engine bay brace? I have done no suspension mods yet but am going to drop it on 22"s and relocate the rear. Just want to know if this is a way to improve handeling even with stock setup?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A far as I know engine braces like the Hotchkis unit do nothing for our cars, but they look cool.

SSpend that money elsewhere. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is purely decorative. In fact, an argument can be made it HURTS handling (albeit slightly) because it is simply adding weight up high in the chassis!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't there a forum member who can attribute his car being totalled rather than just damage to one of those? Transfered impact that should have just damaged the very nose further back and damaged parts that would have been fine without it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put the engine bay brace on my 96 SS and it feels like it 'tightened' up the front end bodywork. Before, it would appear that the front sheetmetal would shakevibrate more than it does now.

No difference in driving, other than that.

I like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by CH Burns:
I put the engine bay brace on my 96 SS and it feels like it 'tightened' up the front end bodywork. Before, it would appear that the front sheetmetal would shakevibrate more than it does now.

No difference in driving, other than that.

I like it.
I was kinda thinking along these lines that it doesn't help much in the way of handling but may tighten up the sheet metal, I've noticed my front sheet metal moving around a bit also. Probably not worth investing in though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well for you impala guys ,before you do that try replacing the missing body bushings in the frontend of the car..that will stiffen it up also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ironroad9c1:
well for you impala guys ,before you do that try replacing the missing body bushings in the frontend of the car..that will stiffen it up also.
The 9C1 got a few extra lower bushings through the middle of the car NOT the front and those were loose from the factory so shut the hell up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used the Meuller PNs and instructions and only needed lowers under the passenger compartment.

Even if some cars were missing them further forward still the 9C1 bushings were loose NEW according to Meuller himself and would have no signifigant chance of being tight if installed now with aged uppers.

I took that as a "my 9C1 is better than your civi car" post hence the rude reply.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
look here man ,i never said anything about my caprice was better or they didn't have a loseness problem ,just offering a well know cure to some problems the guy might not have known ,so take your small penis problem somewhere else.not everyone has the knowlege you do ohh great one.i'll go over and shut the hell up and let all of you make a costly mistake next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
]The 9C1 got a few extra lower bushings through the middle of the car NOT the front and those were loose from the factory so shut the hell up.
I see diplomacy is still one of your more impressive qualities :D

WTF? got some new splinters in your sphincter or something ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4 of you posted to protest my responce one even offering a link that supports my statements about the 9C1 bushings being still wrong, the other three offering no tech info atall. This is what it wrong with the US today being sweet is more important than FACTS :( .

Shane, to me the front body bushing is the one up under the core support, my lowly L99 civi had them there I think they get forgotten as existing because they are hidden unless you remove parts from the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all the cars had the upper bushings, its the Lower bushings that were missing, and scott gave part numbers for the thicker buhings to use so that there is no play so your looseness wont be there after lower bushings are installed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
This is what it wrong with the US today being sweet is more important than FACTS :( .
It is possible to present facts in a polite curteous fashon ya know

It makes it a lot harder to convey your message when youre telling people to shut the hell up in the same breath youre using in an attempt to share knowledge. Knowledge & wisdom ... two things that seem similar on the surface that are very different

Ahhh forget what I just said & shut the hell up !!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shane I understand all uppers are always present. Meuller and I just apparently disagree on what the front mount is I would consider that the one for the core support and it did have lowers. The ones at the a-b pillars and in front of tha back tires did not have lowers except for the loose ones GM put on the 9C1. As old as these cars are and as worn as uppers will be the 9C1 lowers would offer next to nothing, heck I had a couple of Meuller's recommended bushings not really righten up when I did this probably 5 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.