Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the way to work, just as I parked, the engine engulfed in flames. Fire dept came and put it out, cars finished. Was such a nice 96 Roadmaster wagon, ran perfect before, don't really know what happened. Had to be fuel.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Dibs on the rear license holder.

Seriously, you're living life right and getting repaid for good karma. Coulda been at 70 on the interstate. With a SO. And kids. Now you got a mission to replace it with something better.

And yes ima looking at my lines this morning.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Yeah chris, that sucks. We have talked in a past thread where I had said to carry a fire extinguisher. And as Bob said here you're ok and no one was injured. That is other than feelings. I would be cwm8

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
976 Posts
What a sucktastic way to start a day! @ least nobody got hurt, but I'd be bummed.
Hopefully you were insured and can buy another w/ $ ?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
OMG that looks just like my wagon except mine is a Caprice not a Roadmonster. I will check my fuel lines as well! I ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher, but in a catastrophic fire, it might not be enough. I am so sorry. Again, lucky that it happened when it did and that you are OK.

Let us know what you replace it with!

V

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Another reason I'm grateful my fuel system doesn't hold pressure,but bleeds it off fairly soon post shutdown.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh, wow. I'm sorry to see that. Glad nobody's hurt but, still, it's a crummy feeling to see something you work on/take pride in turn into junk.

Uh-oh. I recenly replaced my injectors and as Ghetto Wagon says, the o-rings sure were terrible after 25 years. So, the injector, rail, and fuel pressure regulator o-rings are new, but I didn't think about the ones in the fuel line quick-connects, so that's now on this week's short-list.

Re fire extinguishers, my main one (kept in the pass compartment) is an 2.5 lb Halotron (expensive ~$125, but clean with no corrosive powder residue), with a regular dry chem back-up in the trunk. Amerex prof extinguishers, not stuff I don't trust from MegaLoMart. See https://amerexfireextinguishers.com

Oh, another good thing about getting rid of homeplate is an easier check for hinky things any time you pop the hood.

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
Been there had that. Don't worry about not having a fire extinguisher - in my case the hood release cable melted about 15 seconds after the fire started, and there's so much combustibles under the hood that you'd need a whole lot of extinguisher to put it out anyway. The only thing I did was to pull the fuel pump harness connector under the rear bumper which slowed down my fire a bit. The fire department knows that car fires are instant totals so they took their time unrolling hoses and whatnot before actually putting out the fire.

At least your seats were covered. They might be salvageable?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yep, even with an extinguisher fuel fires are extremely difficult to extinguish!
Been there as well by time I popped the hood it was too late.
No chance I could've gotten it open and if I had may have been hit by a fireball??

Sux but just a car and sounds like nobody got injured which is good!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Last thing you want to do with an engine fire is to pop the hood anyways. Once the flames get all that fresh air that fire is taking off. When Gasoline is involved odds are you are screwed once you see smoke anyways.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Wow, sorry for your loss...at least you are ok.

All the O rings in the injectors fuel rails and quick connects should be replaced, If you ever take it all apart you will see how dry the O rings are after near 25 years
Good points and have done my orings on the injectors. Not sure what is involved to replace orings in the 2 quick disconnects. Do you have any info on how to do this or know if there is info already posted here?

As many times the fuel lines have been removed, I should probably do these the next time. I've also thought about replacing them all with braided but that can be pricey. Not sure I would trust 25+ year old NOS lines even if I found a set.

Edit - think I found the answer to my question on how....

...for those of you that have done this, where did you get new o- rings and do you have a part number? I'm wondering if Dorman already sells these for this purpose.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
When I moved my fuel rails with the injectors attached to check for leaking injectors, Yea I had 4 pissers under pressure When I moved the fuel rail "PSSTTTTTTTT" Fuel shot out of the quick connect. Nice. With new O rings the connection is so much tighter. Same goes with the quick connects at the fuel filter and the fuel pump but i doubt that poses as much as fire risk than fuel on hot parts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
O-rings

Good advice! I've been looking over everything under the hood, and am amazed after all these years that the car still runs so good, with only basic maintenance. Looks like I need to delve a little further...I noticed that in hot weather I can sometimes smell gasoline in the passenger compartment.

VM

·
Registered
71 Posts
Damn....sorry to see that. Always a sad thing to see one of the wagons go down.

However, nobody was hurt...cars can be replaced, people can't

If you decide not to fix it, let me know. I got a few of these wagons and all of them need SOMETHING

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. Its totaled. No full coverage insurance, don't want a claim anyways for a $1,600 car. All o-rings were changed, was something else. Came from under the motor near transmission first. Had an extinguisher at the store I was at, useless. It did slow it down till the fire truck came to put it out. I was just more happy didn't do any damage to car next to me, then I would of had to make a claim and up goes my insurance. Had towed away and still had to pay shister tow company $100 to take it away for good. I'm not getting another older car again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts