Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some trouble with hard starting. Changed the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle housing, and checked the plugs. Was a little better for a while, now here's my problem if I can make sense of it. Was driving the car and it was idling too high in drive, just like at 1000 rpm's. I noticed it so I kinda monkeyed around with giving it some gas that sorta thing. Went back to normal. It did it again so went home to screw with it and what I come up with is in park if I give it a quick dose of gas it chokes like it could die but gets passed it, if I'm in drive and do the same dose of gas it chokes then a second later seems to accept the gas and I get a quick burst. If I have a bad fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator could this be a symptom? I know I need to check my fuel pressure but any help at this point would be helpful. Thanks JZ.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Did you clean the IAC and iac passage??? were you careful with it when you did clean it or take apart? another thing is if you unplugged the iac, you must reset the iac,

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
IAC reset, depress gas pedal slightly with key off, start engine and release gas pedal, run engine for 5 sec. Then turn ignition off for 10 sec and restart engine, check for proper idle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that is my problem, my idle is fine until I give it some initial gas, then when rpm's are up it's fine. It also is better if I just baby the throttle it at low rpm's. Another symptom is if the car is warm and I turn it off wait a second and turn it back on the rpm's will shoot up to maybe around 1600 like it's been cold. JZ.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'd probably check the TPS. Either that, or clean the MAF and remember to _carefully_ clean the wires in the MAF and see if that doesn't fix things. If not, definitely check your fuel pressure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well looks to me it's gonna have to do with the MAF. I took it off, carefully cleaned it, put if back on and presto it ran terrific. However, I forgot to plug it in. So I plugged it in and ran like crap again. Do I really need to replace it or can I just leave it unplugged? JZ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts