Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going for a drive in my 95 impala just to the store and back and on my way home my car just stopped and smoke started coming from the engine and when I lifted the hood my upper radiator hose was off also I tried to accelerate and my car would not move so I turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine so I drove it back home cuz it was only like 200 feet away my question is can I just replace the hoses and be able to drive it? And also did Is it possible that I damaged the engine by driving the car home ?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Try,and see.. Iron motors are forgiving,but do have their limits. Chances are it's okay,but don't do it no more...Bahahahahahaha...

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Make sure you bleed the system before driving.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
As mentioned, not a 'memory for life' kinda incident. Doubtful you damaged anything. Way more interesting and important to know what prompted the hose to come off. Would also be helpful knowing circumstances before the stall and steam. Any knocking, chuggle or misses? Recent work you or a shop did recently? Did you happen to eye the needle before or during? When is the last time the coolant was tested, flushed, replaced?

Finally, thermostats can go dead after a superheating, if that's what happened. Be sure to get a correct new one (LT-1, not just a sm bl Chevy).

Consider that from what you typed there is no proof the car was actually overheated, just that the "hose was off". You can get your exact symptoms from a large slug of coolant hitting old plug wires and a warm engine.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
so what clamps are on the hoses ? OEM spring or a screw clamp ? with screw clamps you will get screwed LOL....

the other cause can be the pressure cap is plugged up and the pressure got too high... my 15 psi GM OEM cap did get plugged up and my hose got damaged and the engine ran hotter than normal ..

I would clean out the cap and if possible buy a new 15 psi cap ... do not use a higher pressure cap or radiator and plastic tank can crack..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Early days

Back in the early days (95/96) I remember the top hose coming off a couple cars during HEAVY acceleration.
The engine torqued so much it pulled the hose off the radiator.
Better clamps as mentioned is good advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well actually my car recently started to stutter and make a popping noise during acceleration but only when I 1st start the car

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also my temp gauge is out so I couldn't watch the needle and I just got the car don't know when the coolant was last flushed and replaced but I'll make sure I do that and change both lower and upper hoses and the thermostat and I'll see how it goes

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Well actually my car recently started to stutter and make a popping noise during acceleration but only when I 1st start the car
possible on the cold start the back fire popping noise is the ignition coil.. if that coil is riveted in place a good chance it is internally arcing because it is a 1995 part.. in the dark run engine and if you can see flashes in/on the coil that will cause this ..hose blew off so probably got all antifreeze on it,,

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
Also my temp gauge is out so I couldn't watch the needle
the temp sender for gauge is on PS head near the #6 plug. Confirm the single wire going to it is attached...and not burnt or broken. If wire is attached than the sensor itself is bad. Replace but be quick on installing the new one as coolant will come out. It may be necessary to bleed the cooling system if to much coolant comes out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts