Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard many mixed reviews regarding having an engine balance before reassembly but I think I'm going to go ahead and have it balanced, but first I must purchase the last part of my rotating assembly the damper/harmonic balancer there are many choices on the market and not sure how various ones would effect balancing or would it be ok just get an OEM one. Can somebody point me in the right direction

FYI. Just a lil info on the build 95, LT1 bored .030 over original crank, SCAT rods, TRW forged pistons, LT4 cam, just building a performance daily driver might take it to the strip just for number purposes only no real strip racing

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.......I must purchase the last part of my rotating assembly the damper/harmonic balancer.......would it be ok just get an OEM one.......
My current engine build, I'm going with a 'high rent' balancer.

But......with my current engine (see sig) I have the same balancer that was on the car when I bought it in 1996.

I think a OEM balancer will be fine for you set-up.

KW

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My current engine build, I'm going with a 'high rent' balancer.

But......with my current engine (see sig) I have the same balancer that was on the car when I bought it in 1996.

I think a OEM balancer will be fine for you set-up.

KW
I was thinking the same far as an OEM type damper as I want be spinning high rpms and havent drifted to far from OE specs

BTW- thats a nice set up in your sig, how streetable was it?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
......BTW- thats a nice set up in your sig, how streetable was it?
Well.....the 3600 stall I didn't like so much, so I went back to the 3000 stall I had in it previously.

Streetable? Very :D

The engine has over 100K miles; I'm gonna rebuild it and sell when the new engine goes in.

KW

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
LT engines are internally balanced so the "damper" and flexplate are neutral.

Most folks throw the term balancer and damper around and they have both have specific duties. :)

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
LT1 flexplates are not neutral balanced
Stockers are not.....becuase the stock LT1 engine is BOTH, internally (in the front) and externally (in the rear) balanced.

But most aftermarket flexplates come neutral balanced and are ment for pre-balanced rotating assemblies.

KW

EDIT:

From the above link from a Golen article in Chevy High Performance: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/t...valvetrain/0612ch_lt1_engine_build/index.html

Put your curser on the 3rd picture.....

"Both the 440- and 480-horse stroker motors receive an Eagle cast-steel crank, providing a substantial step up in strength from the stock cast-iron piece. The new 'shaft is internally balanced, meaning the LT1 original externally balanced flywheel or flexplate can't be used."

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
But most aftermarket flexplates come neutral balanced and are ment for pre-balanced rotating assemblies.

KW
What are the LT1 flexplates, besides the pricey ATI one, that are neutrally balanced? All the < $100 ones like B&M, TCI, Hughes are balanced for the stock rotating assembly.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
What are the LT1 flexplates, besides the pricey ATI one, that are neutrally balanced? All the < $100 ones like B&M, TCI, Hughes are balanced for the stock rotating assembly.
You're right D'mitry......there are more externally balanced plates out there.

The list in the link are the internally balanced plates. Summit used to market a plate under their name (well under $100) but it seems that it's no longer offerred......or at least, no longer listed.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ck-Gen-II-LT-based-engines/?keyword=flexplate

KW

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
My bad. I'm thinking of my new setup.

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
You're right D'mitry......there are more externally balanced plates out there.

The list in the link are the internally balanced plates. Summit used to market a plate under their name (well under $100) but it seems that it's no longer offerred......or at least, no longer listed.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...ck-Gen-II-LT-based-engines/?keyword=flexplate

KW
Nice link KW.
I've been using the Quick Time brand recently and they are USA made at a reasonable price. The ATI flexplates have been getting more and more costly, (and for what increase in quality?).
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QTI-RM-923/

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
......I've been using the Quick Time brand recently......
Now see......I've never heard of 'Quick Time' before I brought up that link.

An endorsement from KE tells me that they must a quality product!

KW

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I had an externally balanced SFI flexplate on my first stroker, when the engine let go, my builder had to re-balance the flexplate for the 4" stroke on the 409. It's worked alright, so far!:D

As to the balancer, I'm still running a stock OEM balancer. I haven't launched it to pieces, yet.:p Although I do put on a brand new one every 2-3 years.

I shift at 6500. Maybe the next engine I build, if I can get Karl to build it, will have a fancy balancer on it.:)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Thanks for the link, KW. I never heard of quicktime flexplates. 4 years ago I could not find anyone stocking a neutrally balanced 153-teeth B&M/TCI flexplate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts