Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
forged crank, H-beam rods, forged pistons, trick flow 21 deg heads bought bare had vale job and springs custom set up for my engine, comp XFI292HR13, Canton racing pan and valve covers
Mocked up the valvetrain wednesday and ordered rockers, studs, guideplates and pushrods that will be here today! hope to drop this thing in tomorrow its been 2 months since its been on the road

·
Registered
358 Posts
A serious project--exciting!

Reactions: Mwilson1995

·
Super Moderator
8,835 Posts
Is that a 383? What oil pump are you using? Are those 3/8" studs? Did you deck the block or leave it stock? How much relief is on the piston crowns? What timing set are you using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no 40 over 350 thought about 397 but decided i have enough power i wanted reliability first, melling HV , 7/16 studs, yes decked, plenty of relief, stock timing set

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
I also would be interested in the piston relief cc
Forged crank, do you happen to have the part number you used?

Thanks
scat JPG.JPG

·
Super Moderator
8,835 Posts
Did you set up the bearings loose? Consider running a blueprinted stock oil pump if the bearing clearances were kept stock.

Same question as 95wagon - what is the piston valve relief CC?

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
You left out the blower part
Edit, I see your intro thread does

Scat 4340 forged crank
ICON 2618 forged pistons
PCE H-Beam 4340 rods with ARP 7/16 Capscrews
What is with the finish on the rod bolt heads? I have never seen ARP bolts that looked like that.

My question on the crank is because, to me and I might be out left field, the Scat logo on the crank is incredibly defined for a forging .

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
The barely legible 8640 on the bolts, and a search turn up this thread that seems tailor made for you.
Quoted from the internet

The bolts are 7/16" and are marked 8640. No other marks. Not ARP.

Bolts are not SCAT nor ARP, ARP does not use 8640, only 8740 or better material.

Rods look like typical imported H-beams, I've handled several sets from different places and they all seem to lead back to one manufacturer - Star Galaxy in Asia somewhere. Rod quality is fine, same 2 or 3 styles of rod are being sold by a ton of shops under their own name, including SpeedMaster/ProComp, Falcon, Engine Pro, Speedway Motors, RPM International, Power Products, etc(Skip is probably on the list too)…. but the 8640 bolts are rather crude to look at when you get them next to a good bolt like ARP or Carrillo.

end Quote

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Long story I would have went with more stroke maybe and longer rods for sure but I had the pistons first not knowing the extent of the damage to the existing motor. Iwasnt planning on heads either but

ARP head studs
ARP main studs
Icon 4.040 IC9913-040 4032 Forged pistons +10cc set .022 down
PCE (speedway) 5.7 4340 Rods with 8640 PCE 7/16" cap screws
Scat 942-435010L 4340 Forged 3.48 crank
MLS .040 head gaskets
Trick Flow 185 21deg with 54cc chamber
Springs set up @ 1.85 160# and 425# @ .600
10.42:1 static & Dynamic 8.3:1

Existing motor below trhats what the pan looked like when I dropped it

3.jpg
IMG_20210221_175904_01.jpg PXL_20210202_191910306.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I normally build my own engines but I couldnt find a block anywhere local. I spoke with Golen and tried to buy a block/rotating assembly from them but they would only sell assembled then after I ordered the shortblock I have Golen emailed and said they would sell me a block but I didnt need one then. I decided Id rather buy a shortblock than spend $1,000 on a used engine that someone "Claims ran good but needs freshening up" when I knew the rotating assembly was going in the trash anyway at that point. Now I have my other block that is miraculously unhurt to use for a backup and build a 397 in the future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its just a fun street car not looking to make ridiculous HP numbers or throw tons of boost at it I just changed my blower pully to drop boost down to about 5psi ( see what it is when it gets going) my main focus has been brakes and suspension this entire engine ordeal was unplanned but enivitable with a blower on a stock bottom end.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I joined this site because it was reccomended to me by another member because I wasnt getting answers related to LT-1's anywhere on the internet. This is my first experience with an LT-1 I have always had SBC's and a few LS's but I have never built an LS only modified them.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I appreciate you cross posting over here too. Not many building LT1’s anymore.
Sorry to see that carnage, but it makes for a wild picture.
Thanks for the details so far, cool build, cool car.
Let us know about that centrifugal when it comes back into play (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my kids helped a bunch dropping motor in and putting transmission in that was cool. Down to radiator, fans, wiring plug in, water pump, harmonic balancer and supercharger

1 - 20 of 37 Posts