Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home last night the temp gauge shot over to the hot side then as i went to pull over it went back to the cool side and pretty much stayed there the rest of the way home. could my thermostat be going bad?

· Registered
576 Posts
depends on how far it went, a normal guage will go all the way to the red before the fans kick on

the line before it goes into red on the guage is 235 i believe, and the fans arent programmed to run untill 220

if you live in a cool climate, and if your cars anything like mine.. it hardly ever reaches 220, usually my car runs around 180 just from driving around on cool nights, and the guage only stays about half way.. but if i sit at red lights or its a hot day.. it will reach operating temperature:

thats a picture of my guage, and its perfectly normal.. even at that temperature the fan was still not on

if it pegs the red, and the fan never turns on, then worry about it

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well since i bought my car only one fan has worked and it runs constantly, my temp gauge never goes past the half way point. The only other time my car ran hot and the gauge went to red was when my freeze plugs went bad. i just found it wierd that it went hot then back cool.

· Registered
576 Posts
When its hot outside, and I turn on my AC... the primary fan will run constantly and my guage will not go past half way either, but without the AC it will get to operating temperature (pictured above)

If your fan is running constantly, I'd think you have problems elsewhere.. probably the coolant temperature sensor in the water pump. If you have a fan that runs constant, and then all of a sudden your temp went up... I'd think your fan is going out and turned off for a minute, then back on... or maybe your thermostat got stuck...

Id suggest finding the reason you have a fan running constantly first

· Registered
440 Posts
Damn, mine never gets higher than about 1/8th-1/4. my 160 tune and stat run a little too cool for me... these engines run most efficiently when warm, don't they?

· Registered
290 Posts
... or maybe your thermostat got stuck...
Thats probably why it jumped & then cooled.
I've had to squeeze the upper hose before to get it to release.
Far as the fans running mine rarely run except when sitting in traffic after cruising

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i checked the coolant tank and it was low almost empty, have no idea why. I also looked at the fan relays and its missing the secondary relay. Im not sure if one relay missing would cause it to run non stop but ill find out tomorrow. Also someone had rewired the fans cause its all butt connected and a hot wire running to them from the fuse panel under the hood. I never bothered fixing the problem cause i figured if its not broke dont fix it but i think now i should go to the junk hard and get a new harness.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
"Well i checked the coolant tank and it was low almost empty, have no idea why. I also looked at the fan relays and its missing the secondary relay. Im not sure if one relay missing would cause it to run non stop but ill find out tomorrow. Also someone had rewired the fans cause its all butt connected and a hot wire running to them from the fuse panel under the hood. I never bothered fixing the problem cause i figured if its not broke dont fix it"

Don't you think it would have been beneficial to include essential bits of information like those when you asked the original question? The answer is that it has been "broke" for a long time and obviously needs to be fixed. No one can answer questions without the right background information. No, your thermostat is not stuck. People will spend money on bags and 24's, but not to maintain their cars.

· Registered
440 Posts
Don't you think it would have been beneficial to include essential bits of information like those when you asked the original question? The answer is that it has been "broke" for a long time and obviously needs to be fixed. No one can answer questions without the right background information. No, your thermostat is not stuck. People will spend money on bags and 24's, but not to maintain their cars.

Dude...

awesome.

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Don't you think it would have been beneficial to include essential bits of information like those when you asked the original question? The answer is that it has been "broke" for a long time and obviously needs to be fixed. No one can answer questions without the right background information. No, your thermostat is not stuck. People will spend money on bags and 24's, but not to maintain their cars.
Actually i hadnt looked into the problem until after i posted the question, the point of the question first was to see if anyone would give me a heads up on what to look for before i "bothered" looking. I maintain my car on a regular basis as Brett does all my engine work and since he last fixed what was "broke" i had not had any problems. Considering my car sat for 2 months while i worked on it i wasnt expecting a problem to arise since i had none when i last drove it. considering my problem was it got hot for a moment then back to cold, has nothing to do with maintenance due to the fact i dont just drive around with it running hot. It happened and went away. As far as spending money on bags and 24s and not on a thermostat i do all my own work and have only spent less than you think in parts and wheels since i do alot of trading of parts or sell what i had and get a deal on what i bought, and make my own parts. Also saying i wont spend money on maintenance, i believe i did say i would go buy a new fan harness and change the thermostat since NOW im having a problem and am looking to fix it.

· Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is one problem i found while adding coolant to the resivoir was my cap where the plunger is seemed like it was colapsing on its self. All the spokes that go out in the middle were cracking and the tabs in the middle were broke, so i DID replace it. Not sure where the coolant went causing the level to be low because i have no leaks under the car. ill have to wait till i drive it again to see if it runs hot again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.