Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the deal. I've had my 95 9c1 for about 7mths now and consider myself the best owner the darn car has seen thus far..1 problem is after a while of driving my CEL comes on. I noticed the light is only on when my fans are on. Yes both fans are on. Sometimes when I turn my key to the on position I can hear the a/c compressor clutch engage even when I do not have the climate control switch on. I unplugged the harness to the a/c compressor and took a drive. Engine light remained off popped the hood and just 1 fan was on as it should be...

My a/c compressor is BAD as far as it leaks freon from the clutch while in use.

Is this my problem or should I look elsewhere??

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
You need to retrieve the code to find out what is going on. Your fans should not be on in normal operation except the primary(passenger side) fan when the A/C is on. You should get the A/C fixed asap.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
No, people convert OBD2 to OBD1, not the other way. Get an ALDL cable and download Freescan or Datamaster and see what is going on with the codes.
Do some reading on this site and get at minimum a Haynes Manual if you intend to work on the car yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just looked into the ALDL online....my 12 pin connection only had 3 pins. I compared this to my big bros 95 DGGM and his is the same. Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Check out AKM cables at pcmperformance.com. They are very knowledgeable about our cars and the rather unique connectors for the 94-5 cars. Both Alex and Andrew are very helpful.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
You have it backwards. Your check engine light is not coming on when your fans are on, the fans come on when the CEL comes on. It's part of what the PCM does for some codes. As others have mentioned, get it scanned, find the problem, correct it, and you'll be all good.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Swap out your temp sender for the PCM on the WP.

Is your car running strange or having hard start (sputtering) issues? I saw another post where you swapped out your IM also.

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts