Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The engine is definitely noisier at idle than it was a year ago. When I bought the car with 84,000 miles I could barely tell whether the engine was running or not.

Put new Goodyear serpentine belt and tensioner - no change. The harmonic balancer looks like it is eccentric, if such thing is even possible.

Any thoughts, gents?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opti going out!!! i had same issue on my 95 Fleet. when the car is warmed up and u try to start it again does it still have weird idle?
It does not matter whether the car is cold or warmed up. I would not call it weired idle. Something makes kind of mechanical clut-clut-clut noise. Probably someone else would not even pay attention, but I have got good ears. :)

How many miles were on your 95 Fleetwood when the opti went south?

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Is it steady? Does it come & go? metallic? Like maybe a heat shield on one of the manifold's?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it steady? Does it come & go? metallic? Like maybe a heat shield on one of the manifold's?
It is steady. Hard to describe the sound. Definitely not a shield, but rather the belt. The engine did not have any noticeable vibration before, now you can feel it. Could the harmonic balancer get somehow off-center?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody for the replies. Here is video of a wobbling harmonic balancer. This is apparently not my engine, but the balancer wobbles exactly like mine.

Can I live with it? Is there a way to reposition it or I should replace it?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Replace it ASAP. They are discontinued from GM but are available aftermarket. I recently picked up a Dorman one from Rock Auto for about $66 + shipping. Probably available locally from AutoZone, Advance Auto, Napa, Carquest and the likes but will probably cost more. Also the Dorman one will have to be painted as it comes bare, otherwise will rush up quickly. Also since you will have the belt off already replace it and the tensioner pulley assembly if you haven't already. - Peter

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Replace it ASAP. They are discontinued from GM but are available aftermarket. I recently picked up a Dorman one from Rock Auto for about $66 + shipping. Probably available locally from AutoZone, Advance Auto, Napa, Carquest and the likes but will probably cost more. Also the Dorman one will have to be painted as it comes bare, otherwise will rush up quickly. Also since you will have the belt off already replace it and the tensioner pulley assembly if you haven't already. - Peter
Thank you for the reply. I heard of a rubber part separating. Is it between the balancer and the shaft? Rockauto offers a repair sleeve. Has anybody tried it?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I heard of a rubber part separating. Is it between the balancer and the shaft? Rockauto offers a repair sleeve. Has anybody tried it?
Do yourself a favor and replace the balancer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can buy a harmonic balancer puller from Advance, but hey do not sell an installer. Will I need one? where can I get it? Do not really want to remove the old balancer without knowing how to put new one on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Won't need a balancer puller but a 3 jaw gear puller may help. A couple of long pry bars would also help. Remove the three bolts from the balancer to the hub. You may have to tap lightly on the balancer to get ot to come off of the hub. You can only bolt it back on one way. Also clean the mating surfaces with some sandpaper to remove the rust befor bolting on the new one. It is not necessary to remove the center bolt from the hub. Once the new one is on, mark both cast metal surfaces with a grease pencil to give a visual aid for later possible balancer ring slippage.

Chris

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Won't need a balancer puller but a 3 jaw gear puller may help. A couple of long pry bars would also help. Remove the three bolts from the balancer to the hub. You may have to tap lightly on the balancer to get ot to come off of the hub. You can only bolt it back on one way. Also clean the mating surfaces with some sandpaper to remove the rust befor bolting on the new one. It is not necessary to remove the center bolt from the hub. Once the new one is on, mark both cast metal surfaces with a grease pencil to give a visual aid for later possible balancer ring slippage.

Chris
Thanks Chris. So, it's my understanding that the new balancer may be installed without an installer if the mating surface is rust free.

·
Registered
890 Posts
So, it's my understanding that the new balancer may be installed without an installer if the mating surface is rust free.
yep, should slide right on once you clean everything up. it's supposed to come off without any kind of puller too, but because of the rust issue that usually isn't the norm

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wow this may be issue with my motor shaking alittle.
My balancer dosnt look as bad as one in video but it dont look like its spinning straight and true either.
Im gonna take my belt off later today and see.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It does not matter whether the car is cold or warmed up. I would not call it weired idle. Something makes kind of mechanical clut-clut-clut noise. Probably someone else would not even pay attention, but I have got good ears. :)

How many miles were on your 95 Fleetwood when the opti went south?

i had near 89K when it started going south about couple of months and it was history... that clicking sound your talking about sounds known i only came across 95 & 96 Fleets..how ever the 94 with lt1 doesnt act like that...i wont even bring up the 93 lol

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep, should slide right on once you clean everything up. it's supposed to come off without any kind of puller too, but because of the rust issue that usually isn't the norm
I am waiting for Dorman Harmonic Balancer 594-017. Has anybody installed one on a 95 LT1. Mine is Fleetwood if that matters.

There is a scary post about a Dorman part. There are no OEM harmonic balancers available, unfortunately.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Question guys.
This is my daily driver right now and the rubber is cracked and coming out of balancer. So better to pickup doorman balancer from advance for $95 or order from RMS for like 60plus shipping?
Guess what I am asking is can it wait week or 2?
Also summit had few balancers that I could have here by Friday.
Opnions plz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts