Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what section to put this but I'm going to be pulling my motor/tranny this coming weekend, anyone near the Youngstown OH area that wants to come on by for an assist would be more than welcome! :) I've got a nice collection of quality Harbor Freight tools and HF is only a 10 min drive if more tools are needed. I'm in the process of draining fluids and removing/disconnecting some small things, just need a hand getting it out. PM me if available, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
boofers,
I have wondered how you did on getting your engine out. When I read it I understood completely how you might have felt. Wish I was near enough to have helped. It would have cost you COFFEE. Hot & black.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't gotten it out yet, cuz of my work/exercise schedule I'm doing a couple small tasks at a time, tonight I'm draining the fluids and I have 2 bolts left on the headers to remove.
Alternator, air intake, belt, O2 sensors and 2 plugs so far have been removed, headers unbolted from exhaust flanges

Thanks for the offer though!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well she is finally out. Big thanks to my brother-in-law for the assist. Not pictured but I do have the motor sitting on an engine cradle
Next stop: Ellwein Racing Engines!

The 2 ton Harbor Freight hoist and leveler worked awesome! I had the boom arm set on the 1 ton setting, however the ram was nudged up against my front license plate and dented it some.

Gotta admit that being a longtime lurker here on the forum and reading so much, that doing my own motor pull has given me a strong sense of pride, and finally understanding a lot of the things I have read here on the forum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Glad to see you're making headway. I see that you have the HF 4 drawer service cart. How do you like it? I bought one yesterday and put it together today. I think I will be putting my metric tools in that one(I hope they all fit) and continue to use my 40 inch box for SAE, air tools, hammers and such. And too, thanks to you I went and got the tools for servicing AC. I was always a little leery of doing AC work. BTW. Are you the hairy one or the Cheeky one?:grin2:

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope not the bearded one lol. I like the cart, but I have trouble with the bottom drawer always coming loose from the track. One of these years when I go to remodel my garage I want to get the much larger tool boxes, but I'd rather throw money at my car instead :)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Nice work!
Converter still bolted to flex plate? Come on MAN!

Nab

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Quote Boofers: "Next stop: Ellwein Racing Engines!
Just nosy, what was so patently offensive about the Golen you yanked? You certainly kept it looking clean enough.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I don't know how you got that hoist to work with the bumper attached. I have to remove my front bumper to use that same hoist. Also, I couldn't use the load-leveler because the engine sits too far back and the chains wouldn't clear the cowl. Weirdness, but glad you got it out.

I have the 5 drawer HF tool cart and love the hell out of that thing. Drawers are silky smooth even when loaded to the gills. Probably the best $160 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I have used the HF engine lift a few times. I remove the license plate holder and use shop blankets on fenders and bumper. The hoist comes up to bumper but the blanket protects it.

I just use chain on motor and lift it out. Drop tranny first. I have the HF tranny jack

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't know how you got that hoist to work with the bumper attached. I have to remove my front bumper to use that same hoist. Also, I couldn't use the load-leveler because the engine sits too far back and the chains wouldn't clear the cowl. Weirdness, but glad you got it out.

I have the 5 drawer HF tool cart and love the hell out of that thing. Drawers are silky smooth even when loaded to the gills. Probably the best $160 I've ever spent.
My front license plate doesn't like me anymore because of it, but I'd like to get some smoothie bumpers and new paint job eventually
Also what i did to give me a little more clearance is I unbolted the hood struts and used bungee cords attached to a ceiling joist to hold the hood upright 90 degrees.

Nice work!
Converter still bolted to flex plate? Come on MAN!

Nab
Yeah I was an idiot and skipped a step, but I already have it removed

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote Boofers: "Next stop: Ellwein Racing Engines!
Just nosy, what was so patently offensive about the Golen you yanked? You certainly kept it looking clean enough.
Should be clean, only has about 1200 miles on it lol. I pulled it because in another thread I posted there was green coolant coming from exhaust, I tried a couple different tests to pinpoint what it was. Best case scenario is blown head gasket, worse case is crack in head or even worse, the block. the oil pan also leaked and tranny fluid would leak as well. Never felt comfortable driving it so I want peace of mind in sending it to Karl. Also since Rossler Transmissions is literally 3 miles from my house I might send them the tranny to inspect it, haven't decided that yet

But like everything else now that the motor is out I see a lot of new projects for the engine bay to clean it up, get the fender wells painted and frame, all good winter stuff to do!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Should be clean, only has about 1200 miles on it lol. I pulled it because in another thread I posted there was green coolant coming from exhaust, I tried a couple different tests to pinpoint what it was.
ah yes that thread. Karl will be able to see wtf happened. I suspect the head porting may have found a thin spot in head but pulling the whole motor will allow a complete inspection.

and yes with motor out the "engine bay detail" will be way easier and more complete

Keep us posted on what the findings are re: wtf coolant was coming out your exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
But like everything else now that the motor is out I see a lot of new projects for the engine bay to clean it up, get the fender wells painted and frame, all good winter stuff to do!
This is how it goes. I need to do this and that.
You might want to powder coat the inner fenders. I decided to get my own set up. The only place near me starts at $50 each, for everything. I will not pay that for the power steering pump tank and other such things. Since I want to do a lot of smaller stuff I got an old electric cook stove and the HF set. I haven't used it yet but I'm looking forward to it. Just my thoughts and it could be your winter "To Do" projects.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Ah so, that thread. And yes, sounds that you'll get to the bottom of it soon. BTW, UPGRADES!

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If anyone is curious on weight, a 396 LT1 with no fluids and accessories weighs 430lbs with engine cradle. Cast Iron block with Aluminum heads. A 4L60E transmission with Yank convertor weighs about 162lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Out of curiosity what casting# are the heads?
I believe I read somewhere there is a casting that is problematic for porting due to not a lot of material in some areas.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Out of curiosity what casting# are the heads?
I believe I read somewhere there is a casting that is problematic for porting due to not a lot of material in some areas.
27313-10B and 27341-10B was what I found etched into them

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I should be getting my motor back this Tuesday from Karl. In the meantime I decided to "mod" the engine hoist, I gave it a 3/4 ton option, whilst also voiding the warrant on it. The 1/2 ton would probably work, but motor + tranny + accessories would be pushing my comfort level. That HF 8 in drill press was a beast, very impressed with it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts