Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so ive got a bad feeling my engine is going to kick the bucket on me, so i decided to look at some engines as a replacement. i was wondering i seen guys on here with 383, ls1 and ls2 as like the best engines im guessing. i asked a guy over the phone about his 383 chevy engine he had for cheap and he said something about it wouldnt go in my car and something about transmission. (he had broken english, funny cause i speak spanish but he preffered english) is there a special 383 that goes in or when replacing the engine do you need a new/diff tranny to go with it as well?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
383 is an engine size, not a specific engine. While the engine that guy has will physically fit in the car (as long as it's a chevy block), what he was probably trying to tell you is the engine is not an LT1, and will require a lot of modifications to work. If he thought that the transmission wouldn't fit, it probably also has the old style two-piece main seal crank. That's not that big a deal in itself, you just have to get the right flex plate.

Guys here take their stock engine apart, put in a crank with a longer stroke, and bore the cylinders out to get 383 cubic inches of displacement. This is cost-effective because the distributor, heads, intake, flex plate, and stock wiring harness will then fit back on - which will save you big bucks.

The LS1 and LS2 engines are head and shoulders above the old school smallblocks, but require a LOT of modification to fit and if you've never swapped an engine before, I'd suggest you start with something easier.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so this guy says his 383 stroker ripped his 4l60e tranny apart and he needed to beef it up. along with a stronger tranny what else would the imp need to handle the power of the stroker? (driveshaft?) asking cause im considering a purchase.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
First tell me why he said it wouldn't fit your car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he didnt get into it and i didnt ask i figured to hell with him he just lost a potential buyer. So to my other question cause i found another in my area, can a 383 stroked lt1 run off the stock tranny? if not what other upgrades must i consider in my budget will be needed to handle the stroker?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts