Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asking a few guys at the LS1.com forums, and they refered me to ya'll.

I was enquiring about engine swaps with a 96' Impala SS? I would like to purchase this car as a daily driver of sorts, but I realize that most of them are going to have high miles. So I was thinking of making a project out of it and throwing in a better engine, if possible.

Has this been done a lot? Is it worth the trouble? Has anyone done this, and been able to use the car reliably?

Sorry if I'm asking the same questions over again, but I couldn't find them on a search.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An LS1? No. You could, but it wouldn't be worth the time and extreme expense. There are plenty of nice LT1 engines available that are a direct swap. Visit www.cmotorsports.com and check out their engine section. You can purchase a street 383 stroker LT1 with stage I heads with about 420 hp (depending on which cam, other options you choose) for roughly $5400. Most will tell you Combination Motorsports is the place to go for all of your engine needs. After the engine swap, you are going to need to either upgrade the stock 4L60E or swap to a T56 6 speed manual.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LS1 has been done but is not worth the cost. The motor in anyt car you find will likely be fine a bunch of us have torn down motors over 100K and found crosshatch in the cylinders yet proving they are just getting broke in. Others have done compression tests on old cop cars to find 190+psi for all cylinders, the LT1 is a very durable engine. Heck number 19 on the above linked top ET page has a stock bottom end :eek: . If you insist on an engine swap Combination Motorsports is a great suggestion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, thanks for ya'lls help.

One more question. Will the stock tranny be able to handle the power and everything of a 383 stroker? I'd like to keep it automatic if possible, but I'll go manuel if I need to.

Lastly, what about the rear end? Is that going to have to be beefed up?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
LS1 has been done but is not worth the cost. The motor in anyt car you find will likely be fine a bunch of us have torn down motors over 100K and found crosshatch in the cylinders yet proving they are just getting broke in. Others have done compression tests on old cop cars to find 190+psi for all cylinders, the LT1 is a very durable engine. Heck number 19 on the above linked top ET page has a stock bottom end :eek: . If you insist on an engine swap Combination Motorsports is a great suggestion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Number 7 on that list is a stock bottom too.

As far as the tranny, more than likely it will die soon enough. There are quite a few of us running stock trannys with 400+ HP, but your playing with fire. A "quality" rebuild will hold up just fine.

The 8.5" rear is very beefy. Not to many have blown them up. The stock posi, is another story though.

Mav

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am about 80% done with a LS1/6 & T56 swap in my 96. I picked up the 2001 engine and trans with 6k miles for $4,500. I will end up spending about $11k for much more than a swap. By the time I sell all of the extra stuff, I will have about a total outlay of about $7k. I have already sold the LT1, headers and other items for about $2k. Some of the things I am doing during the swap include:

- Cam
- Spring & Ti retainers
- Chrome Moly push rods
- QTP fbody stainless steel long tube headers
- SLP 85mm MAF
- 165 degree thermostat
- Pro 5 Shifter
- 185 amp alternator
- Eaton posi
- 4.10 gears
- Spec Stage II clutch, pressure plate and flywheel
- McLeod adjustable clutch master cylinder
- Poly trans mount
- Dynotech 3.5” driveshaft
- Stage 8 locking header bolts
- 5 hose Earls brake lines
- powerstop rotors front/rear
- Hawk HPS pads
- MSD 8.5 sparkplug wires
- Bilstein 929 & 1104 shocks (have not purchased yet, still considering HALs)
- Walbro 340 in tank fuel pump
- Aeromotive return line fuel pressure regulator
- Nitrous Express 35-150 N2O system (used 6k miles – great deal including carbon fiber tank, remote bottle opener, heater…)
- LS1edit & AutoTap
- Misc hoses, sealer, belts, synthetic oils…
- Paint – I sandblasted the frame in front of the firewall, a-arms, steering box… and painted everything under the hood with black urethane – I painted items like timing chain cover, valve covers, fabricated motor mounts, fabricated crossmember red urethane
- Relocate battery to rear (cable & connectors)

This is not a swap for the faint of heart. There was a lot of work with a laser level & other tools to get the drive shaft angles right and to get the engine as far back and as low as possible. There was quite a bit of modification to the front cross member required as well as fabrication of motor mounts and a cross member. Overall I am happy how it is working out. I will end up with about 150lbs less weight on the front end (I had to cut a full coil to get the front end back down) and will start with a pretty much stock engine that will have close to 400hp without the N20. I expect I will still get about 25 mpg on the highway if I keep my foot out of it. I had pictures posted of the progress, but the site is down. I will move them and post the new url.

Modifying the LT1 would definitely be easier and as others have pointed out the performance potential of the LT1 is not questions, but I have always been one to want to do something different. I have heard of one other person on this forum whose father had this done and spent over $20k. I don’t know what all was done in that case.

Regards,
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.