Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1996 SS and I noticed that the car runs really cool. The gauge only goes up to the first line after the 100. The guy told me he had a hypertech programmer on it. I know those are not the best but he put it on not me. I dont know if he changed the thermostat or anything else. It has been really cold in St Louis lately but that seems a little to cold.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
yeah, sounds too cold. Of course, it could be the guage that is off, as well. Could also be a thermostat that is stuck open. Try replacing it with a stock temperature (180F) LT1 thermostat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think I might do that tomorrow. It is to easy to change the thermostat not to do it to see if the gauge is working properly. The sensor that the gauge works off of is in the driver side head correct.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
If you have a DVOM you can check the output of the sensor (ECT?) that comes out of the water pump (Goes to PCM) for voltages, and cross reference that voltage with the chart in the FSM to get an accurate coolant temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.