Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put some heavy duty miles on the Roadmaster, and I mean I was passing everyone, I even hit 113 MPH (going downhill, not sure how that was possible with a limit of 108MPH). On the way home I noticed it didn't feel right. At first when I accelerated from a stop, it felt like as if a motor mount was loose. But it progressed into something like a rough idle, or like something was resisting the engine. It started to feel like a misfire, but I have noticed it's only when in gear. Neutral and park, the engine idles fine, and I can rev that thing all day long. But in any gear, the problem is almost immediate, but it seems to worsen when the engine is warmed up. It especially occurs when the vehicle tries to shift. It feels and sounds like it's misfiring, but I don't think it is. It feels like something is almost seizing up, and resisting the engine, until I power through it. I have also noticed a smell, not sure what it is, but I don't like it. The only thing I can think of, something is jacked up in the tranny, or torque converter. My father told me he would check the plug wires first, sure start with the basics, but I really think they are fine. I checked the tranny fluid, it's full, but is looking a little brown, and it used the be the most beautiful red color. I don't know kaka about transmissions, but I really think it has something to do with the tranny. I did notice one time when I hit the floor with the pedal and downshifted (kick down mode if you know what I mean), it felt like it was stuck shifting, and that's the first time I noticed the smell, and it was the strongest then. I only noticed it again today when I took it on the freeway. I don't want to drive it like this, I am thinking of taking it to a shop to diagnose. I have stuck in my head, torque converter clutch. Crap, I think that's in the tranny. The only other weird thing that has happened is I sprung a leak in my air shock line. I pulled the fuse on the air compressor. But this shouldn't be affecting anything other than me hitting my muffler over a bump; I drove with bad air shocks for a while before I replaced them. I need help, not sure where to begin if I want to diagnose myself, I can't see anything strange from a visual inspection.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Step one,check fuel pressure...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
So I put some heavy duty miles on the Roadmaster, and I mean I was passing everyone, I even hit 113 MPH (going downhill, not sure how that was possible with a limit of 108MPH). On the way home I noticed it didn't feel right. At first when I accelerated from a stop, it felt like as if a motor mount was loose. But it progressed into something like a rough idle, or like something was resisting the engine. It started to feel like a misfire, but I have noticed it's only when in gear. Neutral and park, the engine idles fine, and I can rev that thing all day long. But in any gear, the problem is almost immediate, but it seems to worsen when the engine is warmed up. It especially occurs when the vehicle tries to shift. It feels and sounds like it's misfiring, but I don't think it is. It feels like something is almost seizing up, and resisting the engine, until I power through it. I have also noticed a smell, not sure what it is, but I don't like it. The only thing I can think of, something is jacked up in the tranny, or torque converter. My father told me he would check the plug wires first, sure start with the basics, but I really think they are fine. I checked the tranny fluid, it's full, but is looking a little brown, and it used the be the most beautiful red color. I don't know kaka about transmissions, but I really think it has something to do with the tranny. I did notice one time when I hit the floor with the pedal and downshifted (kick down mode if you know what I mean), it felt like it was stuck shifting, and that's the first time I noticed the smell, and it was the strongest then. I only noticed it again today when I took it on the freeway. I don't want to drive it like this, I am thinking of taking it to a shop to diagnose. I have stuck in my head, torque converter clutch. Crap, I think that's in the tranny. The only other weird thing that has happened is I sprung a leak in my air shock line. I pulled the fuse on the air compressor. But this shouldn't be affecting anything other than me hitting my muffler over a bump; I drove with bad air shocks for a while before I replaced them. I need help, not sure where to begin if I want to diagnose myself, I can't see anything strange from a visual inspection.

Sounds to me like a plugged catalytic convertor, they will give off a rotten smell odor when they get really hot and will also make the engine not want to run properly because of too much back pressure caused by the blockage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts