Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing over an hour of research I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I created this thread. I just swapped out my engine harness and was trying to figure out where a few connectors go. A red connector by alternator. And three connectors by driver side cylinder head. See pics

Attachments

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The white/purple one looks like MAF to me. The blue one ether to the coolant temp on water pump,or AIR system that may not be there anymore. The one upper right looks like the one that plugs into the pressure switch on the power steering line. The red one on the other side looks like EVAP solenoid/switch. The harness may,or may not have differences if from another year car...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The connector to the Evap solenoid is already plugged up. The red connector actually sits closer to the alternator

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Righto on the red/blue on the pass side. either the EGR solenoid or EVAP solenoid - can't tell which is which but it's only gonna plug in one of them. And yah there's NOTHING near my alternator like that.

The blue one on the driver side is tyewrapped on mine - I believe it's the removed AIR pump.

EDIT: How bout combing the stickies for the WDs and going by the wire colors?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Or,simply try plugging them in. Most connector shells will not allow being plugged into the wrong device,and there really aren't that many devices to plug into anyway...

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
If you got this harness from a totally different platform like an F-Body,or Corvette then shame on you. Expect all kinds of problems getting stuff to plug into where they belong...

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
... The one upper right looks like the one that plugs into the pressure switch on the power steering line. ....
You mean this one he mentioned?

Hey, do you already have something plugged into your A/C? Mine's way too dirty to tell any colors, either the wires or plug.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Do the power steering pumps have connectors?
The pump itself, No. But there is a pressure switch on the line over near the steering gear (driver side of car)

The guy I bought it from said he got it out of 96 B-Body; either SS or Roadmaster
Is your car also a 96 car? If not, you will have some connectors that will be left over....CPS, extra O2's, etc. but as 1 slow indicated, there really isn't much to hook up on these cars and most are keyed to plug into a specific sensor. Did you match up your old harness to this one before installing just to confirm they were the same? I would hope so, but if not, start back at the basics and match up the harness/connectors.

You really can't trust what someone told you. Either they lied, don't know for sure themselves or someone told them incorrectly or lied to them. Another option, back track from the sensors. Look closely at the engine and the sensors on it. Which sensors don't have a plug connected to it? Maybe this will help you eliminate the possibilities.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate you all. I found out 2 of those connectors go to air pump (deleted). 1 was P/S line pressure sensor. The red one close to the alternator was not on my old harness.

The only discrepancies I have left with the harness is the relay box doesn't have primary fan relays/fuses

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
The guy I bought it from said he got it out of 96 B-Body; either SS or Roadmaster
This stuck, and it's likely a Roadmaster. As that's got added glitz approaching a Cady I popped the hood on mine, and voila! On the pass side sure enough there's a blue/red plug below the alt and ahead of cyl. 2. Pretty tight (and dirty) down there and can't see what it's plugged into near the block.

Nothing like it on the SS, but there you are. If you tell me the wire colors I'll poke thru my FSM, and then we'll both know.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
They may have some "variable orifice" type device on their power steering pump that is not on the Impala....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I just went through this same process on a 94 impala.
The 94, 95 and 96 harnesses are different. The abs module is in the car on a 94 and on a 95 and 96 they are in the engine bay.

Also the pins on the firewall connector may not match your new harness. I found that a 94 9C1 and 94 impala firewall connector are not the same and are pinned out differently.

I ended up rebuilding the 94 impala harness with the 9C1 harness connectors.

What year is your car and what year is the harness

Have you tried to start the car yet?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car and & harness are both 96's. And the car fired up on a dime after installing. I just haven't drove it yet

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The car and & harness are both 96's. And the car fired up on a dime after installing. I just haven't drove it yet
Maybe the 96's don't deviate as much as the old harnesses. I'm glad it worked out for you!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK after some research I found out the tach signal is pcm connector pin A13. Now my problem is none of the threads I read stated exactly where to run the wire FROM the pcm? Behind the dash? Behind cluster?? Etc??? Where exactly do I have to run the wire from the pcm to?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
OK after test driving the car. The rpm gauge doesn't work..

This is because a roadmaster doesn't have a tach in the dash like an SS. The pins are different on the firewall connector like I ran into. You would need to intercept the wire under the dash. or past the firewall connector. I'm trying to find the wire color that you need. Maybe someone will chime in with the answer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts