Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts

Lots of good stuff in there.
You can get a healthy amount of power out the factory LT1 without having to do an engine swap.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I plan on going with a stroker. Many are swapping out for a LS which makes it easier for me!

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Engine vs engine, LS will always make more power for less money than an LT, but it will probably come out in the LT's favor once the costs of swapping are included.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I put a 454 in my wagon. It was not all that difficult, but you will need a well built trans to work on to the engine without breaking. I picked a JY block, and rebuilt it with aluminum heads and a fuel injection system. A Gen 6 454 allows you to get away from a distributor and use the crank sensor for a trigger, and coil on plug ignition. You need a few quirky things, that I have figured out, and it bolts into the original engine mounts. It is a lot of fun to drive. With the aluminum heads, it only weighs about 50 lbs. more than an all iron small block.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rebuilding is a great way to learn about your car, and spicing things up a bit can be done on the cheap. I also thought about going LS... but considering all the little things that need to be done, the cost adds up. You already have an LT1, with functioning accessories and exterior components etc... definitely check out the go fast basics sticky, loads of info there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do a make my car fast. I want to take out the lt1. What is the fastest engine to put in this car. I hear ls2 or 3. I dont have money now but i will save an put it in soon..im making it my hobbie car. I want the best an fastest engine without paying 20 or 30 thousand for a engine

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What engine that is fast an not to expensive can i put in my car. Or should i just rebuild the lt1..friends say dont rebuild but i want you guys option

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Speed, Cost, Reliability. You can only have two. Are you sure those are the 2 you want to pick ?
-ALF out....

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
What engine that is fast an not to expensive can i put in my car. Or should i just rebuild the lt1..friends say dont rebuild but i want you guys option
Start with the recommendations given in all these threads, which will continue to be exactly the same recommendations until there's at least the glimmest indication you're using them:

Especially,

From there, read the recommendations provided in the countless other threads on exactly this same topic that are at one's fingertips for constant and repeat reference and use that's available through using the search function.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
What is your budget?

Once you have a budget, you can determine what will suit your situation. It will also determine what course you will take in acquiring the parts. Other questions are who is doing the work, and do you have help.

I installed a 454 with aftermarket aluminum heads, a Holley MPFI fuel injection system, and a built transmission. My total is about $8500~9000 for everything. The engine, and installation alone was about $6500~7000. I even made a couple mistakes that cost me about $1000 included in that. I did all of the work myself. The transmission, and TC cost me about $2000. The rest is in the engine installation. I was very thrifty, and bought a lot of the parts below market price. If you search out bargains you can reduce the cost tremendously. If I purchased an engine like the one I have, it would have cost me about the same as the total for all that I did. If you get a JY engine, and just put it in the car, your cost will be much less. Most JY engines with the trans, wiring harness, FEAD, and computer cost about $1000~1200.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Fast to you might be slow to others. Best bet is to figure out goals and work on them one at a time. Making these old 4400lb cars compete with the modern era sports car will not be a cheap venture.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
You need more specific goals if you want helpful answers from the forum. Stating more along the lines of I'd like to have 350rwhp and have a budget of 10k what engine upgrades should I make will get far more responses than I want the best engine for under 10k.

Even then some background info on what you want to do with the car will be helpful. Are you just looking to surprise the occasional f-body from a light and do mostly cruising? Are you looking to start spending more of your weekends at the drag strip? Road course? Autocross? Are you willing to do all the engine stuff at once or will you be incrementally upgrading one piece at a time? Are you concerned about handling?

Way to many unknows to actually provide answers.

My best advice at this point would be to read the sticky's consider looking up the Qualo's SS handbook for great first round of modification suggestions. A little bit of reading and posting more informed questions will help us help you.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
20,295 Posts
A heads/cam LS3 will get you to 450hp to 500hp at the wheels depending on your cam. Been there....done that. :)

I even use mine as my daily driver.

A full conversion starting with a solid short block will easily run you $10K when it's all said and done.

Best of luck!

KW

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is your budget?

Once you have a budget, you can determine what will suit your situation. It will also determine what course you will take in acquiring the parts. Other questions are who is doing the work, and do you have help.

I installed a 454 with aftermarket aluminum heads, a Holley MPFI fuel injection system, and a built transmission. My total is about $8500~9000 for everything. The engine, and installation alone was about $6500~7000. I even made a couple mistakes that cost me about $1000 included in that. I did all of the work myself. The transmission, and TC cost me about $2000. The rest is in the engine installation. I was very thrifty, and bought a lot of the parts below market price. If you search out bargains you can reduce the cost tremendously. If I purchased an engine like the one I have, it would have cost me about the same as the total for all that I did. If you get a JY engine, and just put it in the car, your cost will be much less. Most JY engines with the trans, wiring harness, FEAD, and computer cost about $1000~1200.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Low mileage, keep the LT1 and add aftermarket parts.Headers, cam, cold air intake, and have PMC reprogrammed. 373 differential gear and 4L60E shift kit. That is the cheapest way to go.
High mileage, better to find a low mileage LS engine, transmission, and PMC. Buy an install kit that includes wiring and motor mounts. This is the expensive way. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well the trend is to LS it! I think I've even seen a T-shirt saying that somewhere. :rolleyes:

While that's not my favorite option, I'm a glutton for old-school (punishment) and would rather rebuild a LT1 or even a pre-LS Vortec SBC into a 383 than drop an LS into it. The problem is that depending on your regional knowledge base, the old school engines are 25+ years old. LT1s were always stepchildren and oddly seemed difficult for the even-older school guys to wrap their heads around when they were new. Whereas you can find LS knowledge everywhere. Once the LS came out, most people never looked back. Just go to any local race track and get to know people. Granted in most ways, the LS is a superior platform. But I personally just like old school... the caveat is finding the local resources (ie: machine shops, builders, etc) to support old school stuff.

That said, in this day and age and proliferation of parts and knowledge regarding the LS platform, that can be one of the cheapest solutions, especially if you don't want to build it, but rather just swap it. For swapping, well, don't forget truck engines, you can get those on the cheap everywhere... and for a little more, build them up without needing to source a real LS2/LS3.

Here's a good resource for that...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dual post? Mods may want to merge. Or see my reply there.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts