Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
You can get camber/caster gauges on ebay, and go to any level parking lot (a slight incline as long as you are evenly on it can be used) for a place to check camber/caster. You can use a 4-6 ft. carpenter's level to check the surface for level. You could put a level no your core support and trunk opening, the put sheets of wood under the individual tires to level the car, and then do your camber adjustment. Once you have the reading, you can use your FSM to make the adjustment without any further checking.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
And use new prevailing torque nuts after every 2 tightenings.

Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I don't do camber and caster from home, but toe definitely. I made my own turn plates out of walmart thick plastic cutting boards and some axle grease in between. I use some decent string, a ruler and a helper to set toe with the rear wheels as a reference. Just run the string across the rear tires at the center of the wheel up to the front, measure with a ruler, adjust the tie rods.

I've been working on mainly FWD cars lately and it seems like every one of them I'm replacing at least one inner tie rod. I've gotten real good at doing them; many OEMs say they're not serviceable but Mr. Pipe Wrench says they are. If I'm in there, outer tie rod ends from Rock Auto are so cheap that I do the outers as well while I'm in there.

Making those turn plates is the ticket. So easy. Fortunately my driveway has a flat and level concrete area so I can do this at home.

The last time I did this, a buddy at a shop checked it, and I was only off 1/16" on one wheel. That's within the margin of error on the machine, and the car drove perfect. The only time I go to shops now for an alignment is if I have to have the camber adjusted. FWD / MacPherson strut cars handle so much better with a bit of negative camber.
If you have a camber/caster gauge and the factory service manual, camber/caster is easier than toe.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I used to see them on ebay, but there are none like mine on there right now. I got an expensive one for cheap. Any of the magnetic ones will work as long as you can attach it to the end of the hub, not on the brake disk.

Reactions: sherlock9c1
1 - 4 of 4 Posts