Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Today when I went to go replace hoses on my evap canister, I noticed that the hose going to the engine was not connected to anything. Upon closer inspection, the barb for said hose on the canister was broken off. And it appeared that battery acid ate a hole in the top.

So I was wondering if this is an acceptable "fix";

Attachments

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Not hardly... Salvage yards,and rockauto can supply all broken/missing parts. Fuel hose available at most any auto parts store.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
The computer is programmed to use it when the engine is shut off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok. Thanks for the quick response, currently I dont have $50+ for a new canister nor an opportunity to go to my local pull a part yet. So I'll try to repair my current one until I get one from the junkyard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Voila! I used the gray silicone because it drys very stiff.
In hindsight epoxy would have been better, but this will work until I get a new one.
It sure looks like bat acid ate it (sorry no pic), but the canister seems to be made of plastic. Not quite sure how that works.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Typical. After 25 years, these canisters crack and break even without acid damage. The plastic turns brittle with age. If that repair isn't perfect, you may notice a gasoline smell coming from the front of the car. Outside it's fine. But this would be dangerous if parked in a closed garage. The canister is designed to capture and then later burn the gasoline fumes coming from the gas tank. As you probably noticed, all of the rubber hoses leading to it usually turn to black dust as well. Replace those as you find them.

Replace the whole canister at your convenience. It is necessary. Unlike the cars of the early 60s that had vents to the atmosphere, anything fuel injected needs a good vapor recovery system as the cycling of gasoline from the return line requires it to be a closed system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will definitely replace it as soon as I can.
Unfortunately I dont have a garage for my 96, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Dealing with the hoses wasn't fun, so I replaced them all at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts