Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am chasing down a P1441 code and am trying to replace the EVAP solenoid on my 96 RMW. But I can't figure out how to get the blankety-blank thing removed from the engine ! It attaches to a metal bracket that attaches to the passenger side of the intake manifold. It looks like it was made to just slide straight out. However, the bracket has a right angle bend, so that the solenoid can only get maybe 1/4" before running into the bend. So it can't come out that way. I was unable to get the solenoid to slide at all, or even wiggle. The bracket itself appears to attach to the intake via one hex-head screw, as near as I can tell. But the screw is underneath the bracket and can't be seen, only felt. I tried to get at the screw with a 1/4" drive long socket, but there does not seem to be enough room to get a ratchet or small breaker bar, in order to turn the socket. I also tried coming at the screw from the side, with a box wrench. Not room enough for that either, with lots of hoses and sensors in the way.

Has anyone successfully replaced this solenoid? What did you have to do, to get it out? I have also tried "strong language," but that hasn't helped, either ! Thanks.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
I never had to remove this part but I did have to replace all those hoses...

this part sucks gas vapors out of canister so if the hoses are bad then this code can throw. use gloves when you mess with the hoses hard to remove the rubber goop as they do get nasty...

the part removal is most likely a metal clip that is holding it in place .. metal bracket removal , IMO not required ..

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Its been many years since I had it attached to the bracket....IIRC it slides off the bracket. You push the center metal part of the flat bracket in so it slides off

I have Vette engine covers so mine just lays in the intake recess under the cover

Often these valves get contaminated with charcoal particles from canister and also the vacuum lines going to it get clogged with them. Best to either blow those lines out or replace also

I assume you have checked or replaced the gas cap also? very common cause for the code

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got the solenoid off and replaced. It turns out that the bracket does have to be removed from the manifold, and then the solenoid removed from the bracket. Solenoid absolutely cannot be removed from the bracket, while the bracket is attached to the manifold. The bracket has a mounting slot, not a mounting hole. So the screw in the manifold (see picture) just has to be loosened a bit, then the bracket slid upwards and then clear of the manifold. The trick to this whole process is that the crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose is in the way of getting at the solenoid mounting screw. So it is necessary to first pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover, and then bend the PCV hose out of the way. (When I did that, the hose broke in two, from being old and brittle, but that's another story and another problem.)

Attachments

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
PCV valve is on driver side .....................
the crankcase vent hose is on passenger side.................
if these hoses are stiff/hard then you best check all of them and buy a few feet of gas line hose ..........

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I relocated mine to the charcoal canister by extending their wires. In either case installing an inexpensive fuel filter from lawn/garden equipment will prevent any charcoal particles from migrating into the valves/switches...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I replaced the solenoid, the hose from the solenoid to the vacuum switch, the hose from the vacuum switch down to the cannister, and finally the gas cap. The CEL **seems** to be off now. We'll see if it stays off. Thx to all for suggestions and comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts