Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pictures of the evaporator core part of my A/C rebuild. I could not find pictures of the old evaporator core mounted, I'm sure that is because I was figuring out how to take it off after separating the lines that go past the firewall. I was too focused on getting off, and excited when I actually got it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Evaporator tray seeing sunlight for the first time ever(or in 22 years), after being cleaned up quickly.. It was not dirty at all, only had an insignificant amount of water residue. Old and new cores matched up, switched over that "pourous feeling/looking" cover/layer that is held and mounted by those plastic crosses (they poke into the evaporator core fins).

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to mount the part in its place.

A close up of what held the original evaporator core in the inside of the car. securing the new part.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are the old parts of the A/C system, after the evaporator core was installed. Only original parts of the A/C system that I re-used are the underhood metal lines that run 'from' and 'towards' the evaporatore core. I could not find replacements for those anywhere and they are straight runs, I just blew them out with air from my air compressor before hooking them up (keep everything else plugged up, PAG oil and dessicants do not like air!).

Peeled off the service sticker from the old accumulator as carefully as I could. Put it on the new one.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Evaporator tray seeing sunlight for the first time ever(or in 22 years), after being cleaned up quickly.. It was not dirty at all, only had an insignificant amount of water residue. Old and new cores matched up, switched over that "pourous feeling/looking" cover/layer that is held and mounted by those plastic crosses (they poke into the evaporator core fins).
I do not recommend any filter on the evap core like you did . may work good now but as debris builds up this will cause lower flow and ice to build up increasingly esp with high dew points... best thing to do which I did was put a 1/4 inch screen on the air input to the blower motor. the small particles passing the screen will be removed on the ac operation and keeps critters out ..also keeps the blower motor very quiet as the fins do not get out of balance .

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Classic - Thank you for sharing and taking the time to post up the pics. Could be helpful to someone else wanting to do this themselves.

I recently replaced the Compressor, Orifice tube, Manifold hose, Drier, ALL Seals and had the system evaced/charged by a shop. I thought about just replacing the Evaporator and Condenser even though they weren't leaking but in the end, the cost of those 2 parts alone just forced me to stick with the originals. Just figured if they weren't leaking before, it was best to just flush those 2 parts for now.

You also mentioned the Refrigerant Sticker on top of the Drier. I like keeping this sticker on there just for the look of it. Back when I first replaced the drier, I was able to use a blow dryer on the decal and carefully peel it off the original. The glue was still sticky and I was able to re-apply it to the new Drier. This time around, the sticker just has no more "Stick" left in it. I looked and can't seem to find a replacement....

Does anyone know if these decals are available anywhere??

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
what I did was cover the accumulator / filter dryer with insulating AC material like on my newer GM vehicles have .. ac works better ......... so no sticker view ..

·
Registered
976 Posts
the drier should come w/ new stickers. Mine did.
2nd one did to, came with several actually...
Still have some leftovers in garage somewhere.
I’d venture a guess they’re still available from dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts