Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this because I have owned my SS for 4 years now and never bought snow tires for it, I managed to use friends and other family vehicles to get around the few times it did snow. After driving a few times in the snow in the past with my Impala, it felt like driving on ice, which I expected considering I never had snow tires..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put 6 bags of landscape stones in the back of mine in the winter, it helps a lot (45#s each at least).

I can "get on it" in the snow and it grips much better, not on ice though.

Stock motor, all season tires.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I ask this because I have owned my SS for 4 years now and never bought snow tires for it, I managed to use friends and other family vehicles to get around the few times it did snow. After driving a few times in the snow in the past with my Impala, it felt like driving on ice, which I expected considering I never had snow tires..
Buy a beater 9C1, wagon, or similar and use that. I hate to see what winter does to an SS.

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
Hankook iPike tires: unstoppable. Best winters I have ever used. You can stud them if you need to drive up the side of a frozen waterfall, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Buy a beater 9C1, wagon, or similar and use that. I hate to see what winter does to an SS.
The extra weight on the rear of a wagon helps. With good ice radials on all 4 corners, when I give it some gas to slide around it tries to understeer sometimes.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
True. But some people think an SS is special, and deserves to be shielded from winter, more than a 9C1, or a Wagon.

A big part of why your SS feels like its on ice, is the wider tires on the 17" rims. some decent snow tires on a cheap set of 15's, and these cars are pretty damn good in the snow. I have driven a RWD b-body every winter, since I got my drivers License. Snow tires are a must. I prefer to put them at all 4 corners. I have learned that 2 out back, is just not safe enough, when you end up in a bad situation.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Snow tires honestly make a huge difference. I like driving my impala with winter tires even more than my mom's AWD yukon in snow.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I used All Season 215's with a T56 and 4.10's last winter. The biggest issue was getting high centered on the ruts in parking lots. January usually means ice storms here in Wichita. Never sandbagged anything either.

Switched to a 1963 pegleg truck for this winter. Should be interesting.

- Brian

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
The car is unstoppable in the snow with snows all the way around. I use N97 steelies with 225/75R15 Firestone Wintermasters. They're like $56 apiece in that size. I put 0 weight in the back of the cars.

Sean

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Depends on how much snow we're talking about!
I've had my now bald...Bridgestone Blizzaks on for 3 winters!!! This past winter was a little scary...Time for new snow tires...

Back on topic...It's true that our cars are pretty good in the snow with snow tires..
All season made me just wanna cry and catch the bus...We get up to 2 feet in Jersey depending on the winters

I really am looking for the ultimate snow tire...Oh and the weight in the trunk is a must do for the deep stuff...

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
Ultimate snow tire, IMO:

Hankook iPike. Blocks for deep snow, directional to clear tread, center rib for quiet, great siping for ice. Studdable if you are going to drive like a rally car.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
How bout for driving in wet conditions? My blizzaks were outstanding brand new and even with medium wear for driving in rain, puddles and snow...
I will definitely try out the ipikes if they tread water well

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I really am looking for the ultimate snow tire...Oh and the weight in the trunk is a must do for the deep stuff...
I have been pretty happy with Toyo Observe G02+, Consumer's rates them 12th. I-pike's rated 10th, but excellent for hydroplaning. From a recent post;
Consumer reports (out of 17):
Nokian Hakkapelliita 5 rates #3. They have better snow traction, hydroplaning and rolling resistance and are studable.
Nokian Hakkapelliita R rates #5. They have better noise and ride comfort.
Michelin X-Ice XI 2 is rated #1, followed by General Altimax Arctic.
I think any decent ice radial will impress the hell out of most of us, I am really impressed with the treadwear on the Toyo's. Our Suburban has 3 winters on them and they still look nearly new. It only goes in 4x4 a few times a winter cuz it walks around like nothing in 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'll look that one up too...I've always bought mine on Tirerack.com...but they seem to really suck on there right now...can't even find the Hankook Ipikes...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cool, thanks for all of the replies. I was just going to buy a 4x4 this winter, im going to be doing quite a bit of driving up the mountain for snowboarding.. But if these cars really aren't that bad, i may as well save myself a couple grand and invest in some steel rims with snow tires

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run michelin x-ice on all 4 of my wagon and have had no issues with snow unless its up to the bumpers (which is expected). They are not the most aggressive. But absolutely no hydroplaning, ever. Plus they seem to handle pretty well. I put the firestone winterforces on my civic that i had for an ecocar and it made it wander really bad- not sure if bbodies would be the same.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I always ran with 2 bags of sand in the back incase I needed to open one for more traction. I only ever got stuck once and that's when I turned on a side street that had over one foot of unplowed snow. If I hadn't stopped I wouldn't have gotten stuck. I dug out around in the back two tires, and was free in less than 2 minutes :)

I ran 235/70/15 winterforce tires on the car that's in my sig. 3.73s, edge TC, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The car is unstoppable in the snow with snows all the way around.
Nothin' personal but, n.... puuulleeeeeese. Winter traction and headlamps on the b-body suck enormous donkey balls. The wagons and D-bodys are better, but I personally keep my fwb out of the snow, it's a TX car afterall.

FWIW, any fwd car w all seasons blow us away on the icy stuff. Anecdotal; I was in a steeply graded parking lot of a ski hill years ago, and a bunch of kids pulled in with some riced honda possibly on summer tires. They were in and out like it was nothing, I had to park so that the weight of my full trunk gave me some traction. And I had 4 winter tyres.

$500 import beater for the winter ? if you can afford it, kill a honda. Anyway, I've used bags of sand in the trunk and winters on all fours, passable but not fun. imo, when you put all that weight in the rear I feel you loose steering effectiveness. braking is ok, bec the weight shifts forward. but still not ideal.

When a wife and kid became reality I made an investment in a Jeep for her and outfitted it with the best summer and winter setup available. There is no ****ing way I would ever go back to driving teh b-body for long winter trips, I'm getting too old for that.

That being said, and not to brag, but I did plow a load of mod money into the winter vehicle. Witness; Hakkapellitta SUV5 studdeds, cradled like a baby till the moment of joy.

Don't tell my wife, but the idea is to get a nice car trailer and a couple of skidoos...Ssssshhh. Those new blinds and living room couch will just have to wait. Lolz

Headin' to the great white north, again.

Edit:
I used to keep tire claws in the trunk as well, cause we used to get stuck all the time when we went out bar hoppin at xmas. These look pretty cool for when the blizzards hit.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

1 - 20 of 44 Posts