Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I'm curious if anyone has had to drill and tap any of their front end components, because for whatever reason the manufacturer didn't do it themselves?

The odd thing of it all is that all my front end components are Moog, and all but one of the tie rod ends (Inner) are all tapped for zerk fittings. I've looked at various resellers and some have the fitting in the metal 'head', some in the caps, and some are not tapped at all like the image shown below.

I'm sure it's no big deal for me to do tomorrow, it's just really odd that the other 3 tie rod ends are set to accept a zerk fitting right out of the box.

I'll be adding mine to the gold colored cap with the text engraved on it.

Like I wrote, just curious....

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
So it has ZERO Holes drilled in it? I'd probably just return it and get one that is already threaded or has a self threading zerk fitting. Not sure how comfortable I would be with Drilling 1 that is not drilled. I believe they make cheaper "Sealed" parts that are designed without a grease fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So it has ZERO Holes drilled in it?
Yes, correct; ZERO holes for grease fitting.

I should have mentioned that the image you see is a screen shot taken from RockAuto's site of the MOOG component.

I was thinking about doing exactly what you wrote Bob, but when I looked at RockAuto, I didn't see the listings having the fitting in the gold cap area like all the others.

I suppose I could always order one, and return it if it didn't have it since they're so inexpensive.

I just have all my stuff painted an installed now (I haven't taken it in for an alignment yet, nor driving it yet either). It's not really a big deal, I just thought I'd see what y'all think.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
The pic appears to show the hole at 11 o'clock in the head. In any case it's clear QC let one go without a hole in either location. I'd just call RA and they'd likely ship you another - without having to return yours. IDK how you'll drill yours in either location without risking shavings inside - and no way to remove them. You painted your front end pieces?

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
The outer tierod ends have the fitting on the end cap, and the inners have it on the side. The reason is access. You can not access the cap to grease the inners when installed.

Some of the new tierods do not have grease fittings. I do not know why, except it is cheaper to make. They may have found the lifetime of the joint may be the same with or without periodic greasing. The newer materials for the seals may be good enough that periodic greasing is not necessary any more. I suspect that it is because it is cheaper to make, and no other reason. Bean counters have a way of destroying quality for the sake of 3 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pic appears to show the hole at 11 o'clock in the head. In any case it's clear QC let one go without a hole in either location. I'd just call RA and they'd likely ship you another - without having to return yours. IDK how you'll drill yours in either location without risking shavings inside - and no way to remove them. You painted your front end pieces?
Yeah, unfortunately no hole in just the one, it's odd, I assume from two different manufacturing plants, or possibly one an early design, and one later. Who knows.

As far as painting...Yes I painted the front end components with POR-15 Chassis Black. I did that to match the upper & lower control arms, I blasted and powder coated prior to installing Del-A-Lum bushings and Moog ball joints.

The outer tierod ends have the fitting on the end cap, and the inners have it on the side. The reason is access. You can not access the cap to grease the inners when installed.
Right on as far as access goes. I bought a variety pack of zerk fittings, and am going to install a 90' in the one inner tie rod end that has a hole in the gold colored cap.

Some of the new tierods do not have grease fittings. I do not know why, except it is cheaper to make. They may have found the lifetime of the joint may be the same with or without periodic greasing. The newer materials for the seals may be good enough that periodic greasing is not necessary any more. I suspect that it is because it is cheaper to make, and no other reason. Bean counters have a way of destroying quality for the sake of 3 cents.
I'm thinking that's what all this is, the bean counters got in on the production and decided to save a fraction of a cent, and did away with the zerk fitting hole.

I looked them up on Amazon, and asked the seller if the links s/he has have a zerk fitting hole. If they do, I'll replace mine.

It just bugs me that all the other joints can be greased but this one can't. I'm picky and thorough and it just sticks in my craw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts